• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone use Krause Electronic Publications?

8 posts in this topic

If you have not noticed, Krause Publications has been selling their Standard Catalogs with a companion DVD with the entire book in PDF form or you can just buy the DVD without the book. They also have been producing electronic downloads with subsets containing the information from certain country coins, such as Canada and Germany.

Has anyone bought and used these DVDs? What do you think? Do you like the DVD/electronic editions? If you bought the DVDs, would you buy them again?

Thanks!

Scott

I have Souther Africa on PDF. I think it was $10. It has South Africa which is one of the few parts of the catalogue that I use.

I have no interest in the full paper volume. Aside from the fact that i do not collect most of the issues, its the size of a telephone book and to boot, the prices are not accurate most of the time either.

I have the DVD for the 17th, 19th, 20th & 21st. With the exception of the 19th which is 3X the size it should be and moronically has a country list in another file, the PDFs are nice. I can search thru them to find wording on a coin quickly when I don't know what it is.

I use and like the electronic versions, but I really do prefer the paper book when possible. Right now I'm living out of boxes in the room over my parent's garage, so having my books at hand is not possible.

I have the 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, and the general issues paper money books all loaded on my laptop hard drive. Other than the time it takes to open them I like them and the pictures are better than the ones in the books. Searches come in handy too. I do agree though that having the country list for the 19th century book in another file is stupid, but I think it was also the first book they did this way, realized it was a mistake and corrected it on the others. Even on the other books I seldom go to the top of the file for the country list though, there is a bookmark puldown list at the left side of the page that lists the countries. just open it scroll to the country and select it and you jump right to it. Of course even here the 19th centruy book fails because on it the pulldown comes p with computer file names and not country names. The 17th century book also suffers from being multiple files as well. The first file is A through the start of the German states, the second file is all German States, and the third on is the last of the German States through the Z's. If they were going to break it up like that it would have made more sense to just put all the German states in the middle file and leave them out of the other two files altogether.

The only bad thing about them is you can't attach electronic sticky notes.

I do agree though that having the country list for the 19th century book in another file is stupid, but I think it was also the first book they did this way, realized it was a mistake and corrected it on the others.

1.83 GB for the 19th century file is insane. The 17th century file is only 416MB and it has the most pages. :screwy:

The 17th century book also suffers from being multiple files as well. The first file is A through the start of the German states, the second file is all German States, and the third on is the last of the German States through the Z's. If they were going to break it up like that it would have made more sense to just put all the German states in the middle file and leave them out of the other two files altogether.

I forgot about that. There are free PDF converters available. I made them into one file and it works just fine.