• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Paypal Scam

10 posts in this topic

A couple weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Paypal saying they limited access to my account. Well, this message went to my spam folder, which made me suspicious. But the message itself looked more real than any previous scam I've seen. Instead of the usual Dear User address, this one actually used my real full name, which is what the bank and Paypal usually do. I was suspicious enough that I forwarded it on to spoof@paypal.com to see if it was a scam. I then went to another window and logged into my account and there were no messages or any problems or investigations. Sure enough, a few minutes later was a reply from Paypal that it was a scam. It was the best one I've seen, simply because they used my real name! So be aware of it, and that the crooks are getting better every day!

It's a good thing that your mail program flagged the mail as spam. It is also good that you logged into your account rather than click on a link. That is the 100-percent right thing to do. I applaud you for doing the right thing. :applause:

Now if we can teach others to do this, we can greatly reduce the incidents of identity theft and other similar problems!!

Scott :hi:

A couple weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Paypal saying they limited access to my account. Well, this message went to my spam folder, which made me suspicious. But the message itself looked more real than any previous scam I've seen. Instead of the usual Dear User address, this one actually used my real full name, which is what the bank and Paypal usually do. I was suspicious enough that I forwarded it on to spoof@paypal.com to see if it was a scam. I then went to another window and logged into my account and there were no messages or any problems or investigations. Sure enough, a few minutes later was a reply from Paypal that it was a scam. It was the best one I've seen, simply because they used my real name! So be aware of it, and that the crooks are getting better every day!

What should I do ? That same thing happened to me. They asked me for new password info,etc.. Not sure if I rest w/ Paypal or the scammers ?

What should I do ? That same thing happened to me. They asked me for new password info,etc.. Not sure if I rest w/ Paypal or the scammers ?

As mentioned, NEVER link your account via the one provided in the email. Never! Chances are that it will look nearly identical to the authentic page. If you have any doubt at all, type in the URL yourself e.g. www.paypal.com, log in and check your messages to verify the veracity of the email.

I've received dozens upon dozens of phishing emails, not a single one has ever been authentic.

I got a email like that last year. I called Paypal and they told me it was a scam.

Always contact Paypal before doing anything!

I have had 6 or so of these phishing emails in the last 30 days. Each and every time I forward it to paypal spoof reporting site and each time I have been contacted by Paypal within one hour and they verified the phishing attempt.

Jim

I always mark them as phishing scams with my hotmail account. Does anyone know if this does any good? What action do they take?

I have had 6 or so of these phishing emails in the last 30 days. Each and every time I forward it to paypal spoof reporting site and each time I have been contacted by Paypal within one hour and they verified the phishing attempt.

When I have forwarded the Phishing scams to them I've always heard back in an hour that they were scams except for one time when it was real. It took them four days and I had to forward the email to them three more times with the full headers each time before they were able to tell me that that one was a real email from them.