• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new purchase, cool error nickel!!

19 posts in this topic

I have been collecting error coins from 1983 (my birth year) for about 3 years.

So far I have 19 of them but I will keep looking and adding!!

I bought this coin on ebay for $15 and this is the biggest off-center coin I have ever owned!!

How do you determine how far off-center it is?

1983-DOff-Center.jpg

I have been collecting error coins from 1983 (my birth year) for about 3 years.

So far I have 19 of them but I will keep looking and adding!!

I bought this coin on ebay for $15 and this is the biggest off-center coin I have ever owned!!

How do you determine how far off-center it is?

1983-DOff-Center.jpg

Looks more than 50% off center to me. Don't own any of these.. never find them either. I have two bags of unopened peace nickels.. maybe I should open them.... or not. Odd how those get thru the inspection process.

I agree Didz. Nice one Jaime. I'm willing to bet 50-60% off.

I also think it is more than 50% but I am not sure. I was wondering how they determine how off-center a coin is!!

So, I'm Mr. EZ to ya, youngster, from now on. :insane:

:preach:

doh! I reckon that I set myself up for that one. :P

So, what do you think of the brockage errors?

That's pretty darn cool and I would guesstimate at 60%. Is that PVC on the reverse rim? hm
Its on the obverse rim too, whatever it is.

I agree with the 60% estimate. As for the actual percentage, its not a really exact science. When it gets to this point, I've never seen it in less than 5% increments, and usually 10%.

Take the percentage of the design remaining visible and subtract from 100%.

That's pretty darn cool and I would guesstimate at 60%. Is that PVC on the reverse rim? hm
Its on the obverse rim too, whatever it is.

I think it is just the lighting. I don't see any PVC damage in hand. Maybe I will give her a bath to make sure.

I agree with the 60% estimate. As for the actual percentage, its not a really exact science. When it gets to this point, I've never seen it in less than 5% increments, and usually 10%.

Take the percentage of the design remaining visible and subtract from 100%.

Thanks!!

I feel like that guy :preach: !!!!!! Class of 79

Well, then...I feel like THIS guy...class of 69. :P

"Vintage" RI AL

Nice coin, and a little less common sense it's a 1983 Denver mint. There are a lot of 1983 Philadelphia off-center nickels, but not as many "D"s. The coin appears to be 55-60% off-center. You can find out exactly by measuring the amount of design visible, and subtracting it from the total size of the planchet. This is how NGC (I believe) does it, and it's the best method in my opinion.

The other way (which I do not indorse) is to measure the amount of planchet which is visible (instead of the design) and subtracting that from the size of a normal planchet. The problem with this is that, because of the "stretch" between the strike and the planchet, the % will be very skewed and unpredictable from coin to coin. Hope this helps.

Jon

Wow, that's a nice mirror brockage off-center nickel! I like how crisp and clear the brockage is and also that you can obviously see that the coin is an off-center (as opposed to being only 5% off-center or something.) Great coin!

Jon