• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-sizing to 150 KB?

15 posts in this topic

I'm trying to update my NGC registry with the new images of my classic head $2.50.

Problem is I've tried to resize it and I cannot get it the proper size. I've tried re-sizing the pixels (making it smaller), as well as reducing the quality. How would I fix this?

Here are the images:

Classichead250markgoodmanreverse.jpg

1834qeobvm2.jpg

I'm not asking to do the work for me, if you could tell me how to fix it, I'll do my best to solve the problem myself. I don't want to rely too much on others..

Kevin, here's your images 500 pixels square. This size loads in my registry set no problem.

81294.jpg.066b3630d00aa98d116d15a5370eacc9.jpg

81295.jpg.5e314eefb29e101c8c7813f3cf6bf8d3.jpg

I think the limited size of pics is at 120kb. I use photoshop and use "save for web" option and re-size it until it reaches just below that size. Works great. Not sure what you use Kevin but using the Save to Web option is better as you can keep the picture at good size pixels and not diminish it's quality and still be able to downsize it for registry pics.

Because I'm from Texas and everything is bigger and better in Texas!! Plus... you know, size matters!!

I always use black matting for my coins pix. Like the way you matted the coins Vic. I've been using that same matting for years. Anyhow, I've resized them, they are about 580x580 give or take a little. Size is about 110kb, which is less than the 120kb that you are limited to both here and ATS. If you like them, keep them, if not you won't hurt my feelings. Kept the same name with 'sm' at the end.

1834qeobvm2sm.jpg

Classichead250markgoodmanreversesm.jpg

Nice job there ;)

Xie xie ni. Thanks. :angel:

I use my Canon software. First, I crop the coin close and then I go to the size option and place the number of desired pixels in height and width. This will also help to make a somewhat distorted oval appearing coin (due to lens to coin angle) circular. It works quite well unless the distortion is too drastic.

Also, since the image is now perfectly square, I cut the image using the circular tool and then paste in the background color to the corners.

p.s. I'm not familiar with the option Bobby was referring to.

Sam, I like that your borders are smoother and less pixelated than my software. What did you use?

Sam, I like that your borders are smoother and less pixelated than my software. What did you use?

Vic, I think it is time to upgrade to Photoshop!!

I had/have photoshop 4.0 but I thought that it sucked! It often times wouldn't do what it was suppose to do so I gave up on it. And, I'm confident that it wasn't operator error, either.

It's actually pretty simple, and yes I have photoshop but not here at work. It's on my main computer and is rarely used now. I used to use it all the time, but I get about the same results for less effort.

First off to get the resizing done, I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Go to "Edit Pictures", on the right hand side there will be an option under the heading "Change Picture Size" to "Resize". In that section you can choose many different options. When I take pictures with my camera, I automatically use the "Predefined" option to reduce the size to a workable size. Then you can go use either the "Percentage" or "Custom" sizes to get it close to the 120kb.

Unfortunately, this program will not turn an oval coin round again. :( I use a program that I've had forever, a paid program to do that. It's pretty cheap though, Vuepro. You can get it if you'd like at www.hamrick.com but I'd bet you can find something for free that will do that.

Next I use a program called Microsoft Image Composer. I layer the black background, overlay the coin. I use the cutout tool and use the circle tool to cutout the coin. It's also useful for cutting out coins that have odd shapes as it has a free form cutout tool. Of course, Microsoft got rid of that program a long time ago and you cannot find it anywhere!! But, I can upload it if anyone wants to give it a shot.

Let me know if I can help a brother out!!

if you want photoshop for simple jobs i recomend getting the "photoshop elements" it does just about everything that the 7.0+ will do. other than make gifs and animations. and the cost is min.

Nice job there ;)

Xie xie ni. Thanks. :angel:

p.s. I'm not familiar with the option Bobby was referring to.

Vic I user Photoshop 5.0. I usually go in and do all the editing and cropping and good fancy stuff to my coins. After all is said and done I can keep the picture the original size and pixels with saving it as the same original name. Then I go to "save for Web" option in photoshop and you can resize it by KB. You still get high pixels, picture quality, but it's downsized below 120kb for web upload. It gives you a re-size box and you change the size until the KB's show below 120kb.