• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A cool looking Capped Bust Half - grade revealed on 6-18....

41 posts in this topic

I've often wondered if the O-101 was one of those commissioned for the striking of specimens. However, it says in Overton that the King of Siam specimen is an O-103, and that's what I have always thought.

Opps doh! Looks like I need to check rather than depend on my fading memory skills.

The coin is graded AU58 by PCGS.

Had I seen the two sets of images I posted and had to guess a grade, I probably would have said MS62 or MS63. It displays PL surfaces, but does not look like a presentation piece, specimen, Proof or anything special, other than a cool looking example. When I posted it, I strongly suspected that it would garner a wide range of grade guesses. ;)

A very nice coin, Mark! I thought there might be a touch of actual rub on the reverse at the edge of the left-facing wing and eagle's head. The rest of it, I imagined, was probably strike-related (though I cant see where high point luster begins or ends on yours).

The coin is graded AU58 by PCGS.

Had I seen the two sets of images I posted and had to guess a grade, I probably would have said MS62 or MS63. It displays PL surfaces, but does not look like a presentation piece, specimen, Proof or anything special, other than a cool looking example. When I posted it, I strongly suspected that it would garner a wide range of grade guesses. ;)

I graded the first image and not the coin 2nd image doh! Still is a very nice coin for the grade. (thumbs u

Personally, I don't like the looks of the coin no matter what it is.

Is that a grease mark on the reverse? I am not against grease marks as they're historical regarding the planchet prep at that time, but I don't like that thing coming out of her chin, changes the profile. The stars are not fully struck up and for 1934, optimally, this is what I would look for.

well after the fact i grade the coin ms 63 because of the weak stars

with regards to o-103 regarding the 1834 proofs struck with this die pair do the proofs usually have weak stars?