• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldenburg Groshen

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

It's slowed down a bit here again, so I'll throw one out for discussion.

I kind of dabble in German state coins, picking them up occasionally when one catches my eye. Since I'm a sucker for an attractive coat of arms this one came home with me a few weeks back, an Oldenburg groshen from 1858 (KM194). Have a look:

353854-1858B_Groschen.JPG

A nice frosty coin, with just a bit of wear most easily seen on the orb at the top of the crown. My wife had very tough to get accurate pictures of this coin, the obverse is not quite as good as the photo and the reverse not quite as bad. This type was struck intermittently five times between 1858 and 1869 with the 1858s like mine by far the most common.

Oldenburg itself was one of those lesser German states whose fortunes rose and fall over the course of over 800 years. Ruled at times by a Lord, Count, Bishop, Duke, and Grand Duke who owed alligence at varouis times to the Danish King, the Holy Roman Emperor, Napoleonic France and the German Emperor. It's long run officially came to an end in 1918 but there's still a titular Grand Duke floating around.

-JamminJ

Ah pressure's on! Three of the five so far:

Upper left: Oldenburg

Upper right: Delmenhorst

Lower left: ?

Lower Center: Jever

Lower right: ?

-JamminJ

I think the crown originated with Brandenburg, which evolved into Prussia, from which Oldenburg acquired the Prinipality of Birkenfeld. Like a darn soap opera.

I'll add two more guesses, less sure than the ones above:

Crown: Brandenburg

Lower right: Birkenfeld

Lower Left: Feverishly searching catalogs and heraldry books (while my wife asks me about apropriate fabric choices for a bedskirt) 893frustrated.gif

-JamminJ

(while my wife asks me about apropriate fabric choices for a bedskirt) 893frustrated.gif

Wood. Manly wood, like Oak.

As for the coin, it looks very nice. Extremely well struck and appears to have excellent luster.

Hey Greg,

Your's was the 1000th post in this forum. acclaim.gif

Didn't I show you this one? It even lacks my usual collection of hairlines.

I'm not sure why we even need a bed skirt, the manly wood goes all the way around. Apparently the prospect of seeing a half inch of the box spring requires major work.confused-smiley-013.gif

-JamminJ

Your's was the 1000th post in this forum. acclaim.gif

Yes and no. The older posts get deleted. Tomorrow the number might be 950 or 1050 (if new posts are added).

Didn't I show you this one? It even lacks my usual collection of hairlines.

Don't think so. Perhaps you should sell this one to me since it won't fit in your collection of problem coins? smirk.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm not sure why we even need a bed skirt, the manly wood goes all the way around. Apparently the prospect of seeing a half inch of the box spring requires major work.confused-smiley-013.gif

Punishment for spending 5+ hours at the coin shop today?

I'm really at a loss for the lower left part of the coat of arms so I'll take a wild guess. Since the device looks a bit like a bishop's hat I guess Lubeck, whose bishopric took over Oldenburg in 1774.

I can't help feeling I've let Oldenburg down.

-JamminJ

Excellent answers, especially the bishopric of Lubeck which was absorbed into Oldenburg. Feel secure that Oldenburg will continue to prosper due to your courage and hard work. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

I was worried for a bit but I'm happy it all worked out in the end for Oldenburg. Deutchland uber Alles!

Another plus, I managed to select the same fabric that my wife likes.

Thanks for the interest, Truth, I had fun playing.thumbsup2.gif

-JamminJ