• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cool Error

13 posts in this topic

Do you think the weakness in strike at 12 o'clock on the obverse has something to do with the rotation? Seems like the striking chararacteristics are quite unusual.

TRUTH

I was reluctant to purchase a raw trade off ebay, but I couldn't find any certain giveaway that the coin was not real. Plus, the seller does offer a return and I paid with credit card.

I only know of one other trade dollar error of any significance. I've been looking for years and haven't seen any offered until now.

Yes, I do believe that the strike oddities have something to do with the error, but until I have it in hand I can't be certain - plus errors aren't exactly my area of expertise.

Edited to add: Additionally, the seller actually undergraded the coin - it appears to be ChAU or Unc to me.

Do you think the weakness in strike at 12 o'clock on the obverse has something to do with the rotation? Seems like the striking chararacteristics are quite unusual.

The strike is unusual and a little troubling. I haven't encountered odd strikes due to rotated dies. It should have no affect on the strike.

The overall rim looks a little odd. Will be interesting to see if it is real.

Agreed that the rim thingy is unusual - almost looks like an out of collar strike? I wonder if the die was falling out if it might have that effect?

Like I said, I almost passed on it because of the oddities, yet I keep coming back to the details. I've studied trade dollars quite closely and I believe that this coin was indeed struck by mint made dies. Doesn't mean it's not fake, but I felt my downside was pretty small...

Now I'm starting to wonder about the one trade dollar I own (in a Dansco Album). If TDN can't be sure of the authenticity of a trade dollar, even from a scan, who can? Mine's not worth sending in, but I might take it with me to show ANACS @ Long Beach just get their opinion.

I never knew Trade Dollars were that highly counterfeited.

Michael

I had to regretfully inform TooTawl that his raw trade dollar was probably a fake - ANACS confirmed that later.

Michael: you can put a scan up for us to see, or do take it to ANACS. Most fakes are catchable if you know what you are looking for, but some are quite deceptive and ANACS relies on known diagnostics to spot them.

Easy catches off a scan are:

last digit of the date looks larger than the other digits

type two reverse [no berry] on early date coins

type one reverse [berry] on later date coins

wrong neck feathers for reverse type

no period after 'FINE' [not conclusive, but a clue]

poor definition on the zeros in 420 and 900

poor definition/odd strike of denticles

poor details in the die/coin [ie: mushy or off]

wrong relief on Liberty and Eagle's feathers [ie: flat but w/ sharp details]

wrong shape to rim area between denticles and edge of coin

Additional catches w/ in person inspection:

'ring test' off [ie: not silver]

wrong luster

incomplete reeding

diagnostics of fake dies [usually known depressions, lines, pits, tooling, etc]

coin looks too perfect & fresh

Received the item and returned it. Looked to me like it was two trade dollars fitted together and then the edges harshly ground away to hide the seam. Oh, well, it was worth a try!

Received the item and returned it. Looked to me like it was two trade dollars fitted together and then the edges harshly ground away to hide the seam. Oh, well, it was worth a try!
The thickness of the rim on the reverse vs the obverse worried me, but I don't know enough about the Series to have ventured more of an opinion.