• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinions please on an 1878 S Trade Dollar

12 posts in this topic

I would like your opinions, please, why this coin would grade as uncirculated or why it would not. Not my coin, but still interested in your reasoning-trying to learn here.

Jim

OOOOOOOPS!!!

1878STonblack.jpg

Thanks, Mark, I was getting sleepy when I posted this last evening and placed the photo ATS(I assume that's where you got it) but inadvertently left it off and went to bed.

Jim

Thanks all, it is in an NGC AU58 holder, but I could not see any signs of wear.

Jim

Jim, I don't know if it's just the toning and or the images or not, but I see possible wear on both of Liberty's arms, above her knees, on her cheek and above her eye, among other areas.

If the color really looks like that, the coin has probably been cleaned and has toned to strange colors.

There is more to a Mint State graded coin than just whether or not there appears to be a rub on the high points. A Mint State coin also much have mint luster, and this coin seems to be short on that score. Even if you don’t see a rub, if the fields are dull and lifeless, the coin really is not Mint State. The striking process results in flow lines and luster, and once that is gone, the coin can’t be called Mint State legitimately.

Overall I don’t care for this piece if it looks like the picture. I would rather own a white Trade Dollar that has been properly dipped than a piece that looks like this.