• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1805 Quarter and 1877-S Half Opinions please...

10 posts in this topic

I have this sorry 1805 quarter, I need some sage advice. Do you think it will grade or just come back in BB? It has seen better days and I think the scr's in the center are adjustment marks.

1805Quarter.jpg

1805Quarterrevs.jpg

And here is another problem child. This is 1877-S half dollar not too bad condition, I am worried about the surface, and will it grade as is or will the NCS do it some good.

1877SHDObvs.jpg

1877SHDRev.jpg

I am new to this board, but after reviewing the other post I really would value everyone opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Tooch

I can't tell for certain from the images, but the borders of the half dollar appear to display environmental damage.

What is the dark area on the obverse of the quarter, at the hair and face area? Other than that (and possibly, even with that) it looks as if it could grade. But why bother/spend the money?

The wear pattern of the bust quarter tells me it was bent, and those scratches do not look like adjustment marks to me. The seated quarter looks cleaned.
I don't see a seated quarter. ;)

The 1805 is very flat, does not seem to me to have been bent at anytime, but what do I know. If is was bent someone flatten it with a hammer.

The black spot seems to be a some kind of surface crud, not in the metal just on the surface.

The half does have something on its surface, as for being cleaned I'm not sure. There are no fine scr's on the surface, but the tarnish has wear streaks on it. (obverse).

Tooch

BTW: No one noticed that the half has no drapery from the elbow! Rather odd for this date.

There is a Breen # for this type.

Tooch