• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 lincoln cent errors

28 posts in this topic

coin world magazine reported an error on the childhood cent,the error is the doubling of lincoln's ear lobe.also the formative years has 4 variety errors located between the thumb and the fore finger doubling also.so happy hunting.don't know if i will open my rolls yet. good luck all.

I see nothing that has convinced me yet that those are doubled dies, although the doubled thumb may show promise. And ven if they are they are so minor I can't get excited over them. It's like if the 1972 die 1 doubled die didn't exist, would the collecting community have gotten worked up over die 3? It has more displacement than that doubled thumb coin.

No the big doubled die for this year as far as I am concerned is still the Denver DC quarter.

If you have to look that hard its not worth the time and most likely will be over looked by anyone that really cares. I've learned that lesson from this forum.

bsshog40, I bought a error coin on Ebay just to cure my mind. It's not worth what I paid for it, but I'm going to have it graded just to see how or what it grades.

Post some pics of it when you can! (thumbs u

I finally opened a roll and found 9 of the WDDR-004

I even got a roll with one on the end :)

You should simply check out the best pics and reference sites such as Wexler's

http://www.doubleddie.com/60701.html

Scroll down a bit to get to the Formative Years ones. Mine is 004 the one with the little round bit between finger and thumb, and a line most of the way under the thumb

Best of all, you don't even need to look for the error itself, you can look for the well described die markers. Each DDO or DDR comes from a single unique die

Most of those errors if not all require increased magnification... A couple of them are probably spotable just looking at the coin in hand but.. I have a lot of coins with healthier errors that get more laughs then cash.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mudd or hateful about it. Just my .02 cents :cool:

RareSov...thanks for the link!

I’m still trying to convince myself that these Lincoln cent Formative years are true Doubled Dies. If they are, I do believe the letter M needs to precede the designation as meaning “Minor” in nature.

Some of the diagnostics that indicate some of the DDO/DDR numbers are so minute, you really do require at least a 10X magnification in order to insure it’s one of the Doubled Dies listed.

I’m happy for the all the enthusiasm with these newly discovered coins, but I’m used to picking up a coin and saying, look, it’s a doubled die variety and then getting the loop out to examine it further, not requiring a loop to see if it is or not.

Had to say this….now I feel much better and Oh, BTW you look marvelous!

I have discovered several of these and NGC won't certify them unless it is in their "list". ANACS will grade the coin and put the name of the on that attributes the coin, but you have to provide proof (IE: WDDO 002, etc...). I haven't bothered.