• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camera help please

29 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a decent camera that will utilize a macro lens for coin closeups. I cannot afford a $1k camera. What is the forum's opinion of a camera in the $400-500 range with a macro lens that a non MIT grad could handle? Thanks

Jim

Edited to add: In his Macro Lens for fun posts---did James ever name his camera make and model? I saw where Jakeblue asked him,but never saw an answer.

I think you can get a camera that takes pretty nice pictures with a macro for less than $400-$500....not an SLR but nice non the less. I use a Cannon Powershot IS100 and new they can be had for like $200-$300. I am sure many othe4rs can chime in with what they are using....I also like the Nikon Coolpics series (shrug)

The camera body is not nearly as important as the lens when it comes to macro photography. I know several people that get extremely high quality images with relatively inexpensive cameras.

I am not going to get into the flame war (sorry but I have better things to do) but you should of seen me trying to close that out before the supervisor came around :D

I am not going to get into the flame war (sorry but I have better things to do) but you should of seen me trying to close that out before the supervisor came around :D

I agree that it probably should not of been posted but to complain because you are at work and worried about a supervisor walking by and seeing you doing something that you should not be doing. Well to me if you get caught it is your fault and nobody else.

I wasn't complaining, hence the :D <---Thats me laughing at myself. I would not have been repremanded if the boss caught me, I just would have been really emberessed.

To stay on topic, I have a Canon Powershot and I love it.

I am in the market for a decent camera that will utilize a macro lens for coin closeups. I cannot afford a $1k camera. What is the forum's opinion of a camera in the $400-500 range with a macro lens that a non MIT grad could handle? Thanks

Jim

Edited to add: In his Macro Lens for fun posts---did James ever name his camera make and model? I saw where Jakeblue asked him,but never saw an answer.

James used a friends Nikon , he did not list the model but I think it was a SLR with a very good lens. You can get a decent entry level SLR for around $ 550, I have been researching this a bit and believe the only way to get the best picture is with a SLR. However I have seen some amazing pictures taken from point and shoot cams as well. Cannon makes this camera which is not a true SLR but has many of the same characteristics:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120282

I can buy this camera for $195--I have a new 55mm wide angle lens that will fit it just for kicks. So I would need to get a 105mm macro lens, right? Then I would be able to photo coins up close and personal, yeah?

Thanks

Jim

PowerShot SX110 IS - Black

9.0 Megapixel, 10x Optical, 4x Digital, 3.0" LCD, DIGIC III Processor, High ISO, SD Card Slot, Red-eye Reduction, Image Stabilizer, PictBridge, USB.

My Powershot SX series doesn't have interchangable lenses. ???

But it has a great macro setting on it. Here is one of my better pics but I am still learning how to play with it and my lighting is severly lacking.

IMG_1175.jpg

I just recently picked up a NIKON SLR D40 and was so impressed I have been adding more lenses to my collection. Paid 550 for Camera, extra battery, nice case, tripod and 8 meg memory card. The camera was 500.. it was a special at best buy for the extra's. Takes excellent pictures for the inexperienced photographer.... and makes me want to be a photographer.

The camera got 5 stars at most review sites I read. It has tons of features and you can do automatic or manual focus. Just bought an extra 200MM lense for about 350.

I can buy this camera for $195--I have a new 55mm wide angle lens that will fit it just for kicks. So I would need to get a 105mm macro lens, right? Then I would be able to photo coins up close and personal, yeah?

Thanks

Jim

9.0 Megapixel, 10x Optical, 4x Digital, 3.0" LCD, DIGIC III Processor, High ISO, SD Card Slot, Red-eye Reduction, Image Stabilizer, PictBridge, USB.

The lens on the Sx110 is not interchangable.

I still like my Canon IS S3. I bought a set of macro lenses but I can count on one hand how many times I've used them. The super-macro mode works fine for me with this camera.

Thanks

Jim

Yes I agree...I have the SX100 IS and there is noway to change the lense but it takes amazing photo's regardless using the built in macro feature (thumbs u

Thanks

Jim

Yes I agree...I have the SX100 IS and there is noway to change the lense but it takes amazing photo's regardless using the built in macro feature (thumbs u

This is the camera I have, and I think it takes great pictures with minimal effort. I mean, they aren't as good as some of the professional setups, but they are completely satisfactory for me.

Look into the Pentax DSLRs. Excellent value and Pentax has a 100mm Macro lens that's available.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wow... I tried my 200MM lense today.. I still can't get over how nice of a camera the NIKON D40 is... The picture quality makes you feel like a pro with little to no effort other than "Click"!

Next on my list is that Macro lense...

I still like my Canon IS S3. I bought a set of macro lenses but I can count on one hand how many times I've used them. The super-macro mode works fine for me with this camera.

i use the ISS3 and the ISS5 and live by them. i also have a 2x telephoto lense i like to use on one so i can be further away from coin when imaging. this keeps me far enough away to not cast shadows or block light.

From reading this thread, I am inclined to purchase the SX110IS since it has been argued it is a good camera, and the price seems reasonable. Would someone who uses this camera be kind enough to post a pic using this camera? Also, what accessories would be suggested (if any) to purchase with this camera. Thanks in advance.

From reading this thread, I am inclined to purchase the SX110IS since it has been argued it is a good camera, and the price seems reasonable. Would someone who uses this camera be kind enough to post a pic using this camera? Also, what accessories would be suggested (if any) to purchase with this camera. Thanks in advance.

Not much in accessories are available for these. They don't have interchangeable lenses or flashes or anything like that. What they do have is a multitude of settings and a decent macro setting.

Here are a couple of pictures from my SX110IS, Keep in mind that I am still learning how to photograph coins!

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

This is a very informative thread. I suggest that it become a "sticky post". Do any of the forum users here know how to accomplish this? Thanks for the pics Bugman.