• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

82 CC Morgan...opinions?

21 posts in this topic

It looks like an 82-CC to me. Hopefully that is a scan and that's why the luster and overall appearance look off. Assuming the coin is genuine it looks like it could grade anywhere between high grade AU and low grade MS (between AU58 and MS63).

Thank you for your responses! Yes, this is a lousy scan of the coin, looks much nicer in hand. Recently bought a GSA 82-CC and probably will sell this coin. Trying to decide if I should have it graded. I know it's not worth it, but with the proliferation of fakes it may be my best approach...raw coins are just too risky for most now.

I agree with AU58. Looks nice with some slight wear on the Cap and the Eagle tailfeathers which I think may keep it from MS.

Coin looks good to me, but one thing I can't help to notice, is that something to do with the scan by the eagle's beek or is that one that maybe of the VAM variety known as "The Spitting Eagle" because of a die problem that makes it look like the eagle is spitting.? My other question & maybe we can get get some input did that die problem known as "The Spitting Eagle" happen on the 82CC? If not, then there may be a problem with that coins authenticity. I would like to update this post my wife has done some research & the only CC that was a "Spitting Eagle" was the 1891CC.Now my question still stands is that a scan problem or is that mark under the eagle's beek on the coin itself ?

The mark you're referring to is the hooked portion of the beak. The lousy scan doesn't show the entirety of the beak, looks normal in hand. If you look closely at a Morgan you'll see how the beak hooks down. You are correct about the VAM-3 variety of the 91 CC. It appears only on the '91 and is actually the most common variety of that issue. Many people mistake the "spitting eagle" as a rarity of that issue. (pg. 95, "The Top 100 Morgan Dollar Varieties")

Thank you for everyone's time that gave me an opinion! I guess I will submit it for slabbing as I bought a graded MS64 and will sell this one. I know from my experience a properly graded coin is much easier to sell. I doubt I will recoup all of the expense but it will give the buyer confidence and me a feeling of being fair and honest.

Looks like a good MS 63 from the pictures. One thing that stands out is the mark or shadow on the face. I'd have liked to see a photo of that instead of a scan.If you plan selling on Ebay, It may not be worth spending the $25-$35 or so on grading. Raw 82CC are selling for around $150-175 in BU.Graded 82C's aren't selling for much more if any. If it's a good looking coin,good pictures will be important. Good luck.

Thanks for your response!

Two reasons why I would have it graded:

1) The influx of a flood of chinese junk copies on ebay by unscrupulous sellers.

2) Many people (including me) have learned their lesson about buying raw coins on ebay.

I, for one, will probably NEVER buy a raw coin on ebay again! Sadly, it take most of the fun of the "hunt" out of it; however, it stops the heartbreak and hassle you get when a seller tries to rip you off. Really, are there any raw coins on ebay anymore that aren't "Coice/Gem BU with full beautiful mint luster". Sighhhh.....

The coin is much nicer in-hand, with a nice golden patina (sounds like an ebay line!).

Just a luster-rub on the cheek. I'm researching and expermenting with coin photography now. It's almost another hobby, isn't it?

Lastly, I paid $200 for the coin and it really is a superb strike. Who knows, I may even keep it, at the worst I'll have options and won't lose TOO much on it. Sorry to say, sometimes I think I'm one of the few who collects and sells for the enjoyment vs. the return!

Quite right on all points. Ebay can be a pit and it is much easier to sell an NGC or PCGS graded coin. You will probably get around the same as whatever that grade is selling for. And yes,coin photography is another hobby.It can be fun and a pia at the same time,if you know what I mean. Good luck once again.

Dipped REtoned

Something strange about that cheek from the eye down to the neck

like something is being hidden like a scratch or something ..

Still the strike is nice - Cannot tell luster with a scan but I will

say MS61

Dipped and retoned? Wow, that bums me out! I do have better images on Photobucket but I am too stupid to figure out how to post them. Can anyone help/instruct me how to import the images to here?

In photobucket when you move your cursor over your image, move it down a little, on the drop down, select img code. Copy img code and paste it here. (thumbs u

If coin not cleaned, etc., it should grade 63-64. good strike and hair over ear is good.

cheek , ah, don't know. if the coin was AU there would be more wear and marks

(ov&re) I would send in. if the grade comes back 63-64 then you have learn a little about grading. Give it a grade yourself and submit as MS64!

Thanks, yes it's still a lousy scanned image. Coin looks much better in hand. Scans seem like they ALWAYS bring out the worst in any coin! Maybe I'll waste my time and attempt a photo image.