• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANSWER POSTED! GONG (grade or no grade) a colorful 1818 bust quarter!

21 posts in this topic

Images are 100% spot-on accurate. The fancy background was there to help the camera auto-adjust white-balance, which it did about perfectly. Also, you will find the macro images of this same coin in another post.

So... did this coin grade? I'll post the answer later!

j1818_huge_o_.jpg

j1818_huge_r_.jpg

Ya know, somehow it doesn't look origional to me either. Maybe it was buried at one time...or stained somehow. Just for fun, I'll look up the variety this afternoon when I get home.

Ri AL

I don't like the color either, I think it's new color on an old coin. Therefore I think it was cleaned and retoned. But that's not what bothers me about the coin. I doubt that would keep it from grading. The reverse however has some ED on it (Environmental Damage) and I believe that's what keeps it from grading.

I don't like the color either, I think it's new color on an old coin. Therefore I think it was cleaned and retoned. But that's not what bothers me about the coin. I doubt that would keep it from grading. The reverse however has some ED on it (Environmental Damage) and I believe that's what keeps it from grading.

I feel it's been cleaned & re-toned as well, possible environmental damage on the reverse, I don't necessarily dislike the coin, but for some odd reason (and stranger things have happened) , I'll say it grades out

It looks heat treated to me. If it had a bit of a gloss to it then I think that it would look much better.

Does a camel hair brush work on silver coins?

I am going out on a limb here and say it did grade out probably in the VF 25- 30 range

I do not think there is ED on the reverse , I believe it is part of the toning.

I normally would say it was Bagged for AT but I think was one of those tricky posts by James

:/

EZ-E

Your "heat treated" reply was interesting. A couple of months ago I read an article about a coin dealer in the 1800's (late) who retoned his cleaned coins by putting them in a frying pan and then reheating them. I won'er if this may be what happened to this one. By the way, in that same post, this was the guy (forgot his name) that used arsenic to clean coins, and one unfortunate day, reaching for his lemonade, he grabbed the glass of arsenic instead...exit one coin cleaner.

RI AL

The 1818 quarter is variety 2, Rarity 1, according to "The Early Quarter Dollars of the United States". Gradewise I'd go VF 25 with a shot at 30. Nice coin there. I believe that these are tough to find in nice upper grades.

RI AL

If I submitted this coin, I would certainly expect it NOT to grade. Sorry, but I simply do not like this one.

My guess is that the services graded it, but I won't grade it. I really don't care for this piece. It's been cleaned, and the color is either AT or now re-toned.

And the answer is: BODYBAGGED FOR QUESTIONABLE COLOR!

I happen to agree, though I actually don't guess the color was intentionally laid on that way. I think it was stored poorly, possibly in a wet environment. Oh well, I like it for the details and variety.

Thanks for great comments, as always!