• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need an Opinion...

8 posts in this topic

Here we have a 1878 S Morgan.. The question I was wondering is if this would considered a scratch ... Do you think the grading company's would see it as a scratch?? see pic

352047-MVC-879F.JPG.49d1e758fff86d4bf2c8dac1b44c6b8c.JPG

Bruceswar,

I am not sure which of the marks you are referring to, so I will give my opinion on both of the marks that appear in the image. I agree with RWW that the mark in the field in front of Miss Liberty’s forehead id a reed mark from another coin. The mark on Miss Liberty’s cheek IMO is a bag mark from another coin also.

A scratch is….well, a scratch. Usually a fine light line on the coins surface, although it could be larger and or deeper, depending on what caused it. IMO the grading companies would not consider either of the marks that appear in your image a scratch.

Hope this helps

John

The one on Ms Liberty's cheek is a hit and the one in the field in front of her face is a milling mark. Neither of these would preclude certification. However, unless this is a rare variety, I would ask you why you might submit this coin. If you're just curious as to what they might think of the marks then I can understand that. But, if you are seriously thinking of submitting it I have to wonder if you are wasting your money as the coin is fairly common and with those hits, in those areas, the rest of the coin would have to be mighty fabulous to make it worth the submission. Just my opinion based upon the single image.

the coins looks alot better in person... has really nice mirrors to it.... So we will see... those marks are what is keeping me from sending it in...

Mirrors on an 1878-S Morgan dollar are not unusual. A lot of S-Mint dollars from 1878 to 1882 were P-L to a greater or lesser degreee. Thing in the field is a mark where the coin was hit by the edge of an another Morgan Dollar, probably while it was stored in a bag. That mark alone would knock it down to MS-64.