• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 1$ Liberty head rare coin

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I found a 1851 1$ gold Liberty head coin, I was searching the coin in Internet but can find it, there is a strange difference with all I found, in obverse have 3 stars 1 under the wreath lace (same place as mint mark in others) , and one at each side of the number 1. The other side is ok with the 13 stars around the head and the crown with the Liberty impressed on it. Any idea?

Welcome to the forum.

What other words, letters and/or numbers are present on each side? also,did you mean to write "1951" and not "1851"?

You should post some pictures of it if you can, sometimes you can tell (although its not always accurate) if a coin is counterfeit. Gold dollars were heavily counterfeited because of their high numismatic/intrinsic value ratio and that you could make more of them with the same amount of gold a double eagle would be, higher profit.

Mark is like the one in the link, but instead of a d mintmark has a star, and one more at each side of the number 1, an the wreath is a little more simple. will try to take a picture.

Why to put the stars if is a counterfeit and make it different. And the value of a 1$ gold liberty head 1851 its not high, so doesn´t have to much sense.

Mark is like the one in the link, but instead of a d mintmark has a star, and one more at each side of the number 1, an the wreath is a little more simple. will try to take a picture.

Why to put the stars if is a counterfeit and make it different. And the value of a 1$ gold liberty head 1851 its not high, so doesn´t have to much sense.

It sounds like you might have a token or replica of some type.An image would be helpful.

Here are images of the Philadelphia example. It is sounding like yours may be a fantasy piece or a copy.

1851_gold_dollar_obv.jpg

1851_gold_dollar_rev.jpg

Sorry Mark, you beat me to it as I was searching for the images.

I've seen what he is describing before. It is a fantasy jewelry piece and was often used for earrings, and braclet bangles.