• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first bad NCS/NGC experience

14 posts in this topic

A while back, I was grading some moderns and received back a 2002-S silver Kennedy in PF68 UCAM. This coin had attached to it a label that recommended it to be conserved through NCS. So, being a good little boy, I did this. I just got the final result from NGC - PF68 CAM. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! frown.gifmad.gifconfused.gif

That sucks.

Hoot

sorry to hear that i guess grading is an inexact science i am really sorry to hear this i would think if they recommended conservation it would go higher?? but that is my expectation and with expectations there is always disappointment

man hoot it would drive me crazy sending in coins raw for grading........

i guess this grtading thing can go either way as i have heard from on here i mean over at the pcgs forums one man posted that he bought for 30 dollars a coin that was a pcgsproof 65? wityhout the cam designation and then cracked the coin and dipped it and got back a 67 cameo! now a 250 dollar coin?

i guess it can go either way

keep on trying hoot! and let us know any other experiences you have

i guess for me it is about the coiin but of course in this curerent market the plastic does matter,

this current plastic thing will also pass and/or EVOLVE also

many many will be left holding the bag so to speak when this market changes/moves on

which is okie as many understand this and even in a state of denial but that is also okie as it is a free will

the thing that bothers me is many sellers of coins even on these boards promoting high grade modern rarities in holders where the holder makes most all of the money as out of the holder not worth much or lots less!!

that to me does not sit right with me i would never do that but then again i guess it boils down to three things

buy the coin not the holder

you pays your money and takes your chances

in buying coins for the most part only you have your best interests at heart, sometimes.......lol

sincerely michael

I found the result online, so I have not received the coin back. There was only a slight haze hear the rim (reverse) that you had to look for, otherwise a pretty pleasing coin. I naively took their recommendation with the thought that the problem may have kept it from going to PF69 UCAM. Now I feel like an .

A recommendation should not be made if a coin is not thought to upgrade or at least remain the same. This was not of my own initiative, so I considered the grade guarantee superfluous. tongue.gif

Hoot

this current plastic thing will also pass and/or EVOLVE

Sure hope so.

buy the coin not the holder

you pays your money and takes your chances

in buying coins for the most part only you have your best interests at heart

Exactly.

Thanks Michael. Hoot

Hoot,

From personal experience, I bought a a Accented Hair 1964 Kennedy that was graded PR-68. I thought that I could get a CAM out of it if I could get rid of some milkspots, so I cracked it and dipped the spots off.

Only somehow, I managed to hairline the piece, and ended up with a PR-64, and still no CAM. No more amateur conservation for Keith, but it taught me to stick with coins that satisfy me as is.

Sounds like you had a great coin to begin with, in spite of the mild haze.

You are correct Mark. As I mentioned, I believe a recommendation should not have been made if a coin was not thought to upgrade or at least remain the same. Thus, I considered the guarantee superfluous. Wrongo! At least it was not a monitarily valuable coin.

But the message is for others to heed. I think I just recommended to Joe that he send a coin in for conservation based on similar circumstances: Use the grade guarantee!!!

Hoot

Hoot,

If you bought the NCS grade protection you are covered by NCS for any downgrade that may occur. It does seem very strange that this coin would lose its UC designation. I'd like to see the coin if it hasn't been shipped yet or if you'll send it back at a later date. Thanks, and better luck next time.

John

i see your point hoot and it is well taken!

and i am glad you posted this as i think anyone who uses the ncs guarantee

should definately get the grade guarantee that way there are no surprises

for me it is strange to recommend ncs then when you use them you get a downgrade!

but with grading being subjective and the human factor thrown in i can see where this is not

set in stone i can respect that!

still a surprising result when you get a specific resommendation for ncs!! i would well not be too happy

let me know waht happens! if you send the coin back

sincerely michael

Thanks John. As always, you guys look out for your customers. The coin may have shipped, but it only showed up today (Tues., 11/19) in My Order Status in the CS. The invoice is 1635316. I don't know if NCS would still have the old NGC insert? I'll send it if it gets to me first!

Thanks, Hoot

I must be very risk adverse. You might never know that if you were looking at my stock portfollio. But I would always use the grade guarantee. I also would never crack out a coin I was trying to cross over. Still to this day I have never cracked a coin out of a holder.