• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought I knew what "Kolit Position" refers to.... but maybe I'm a dope?

10 posts in this topic

When error collectors talk about off center, clipped, cuds, or otherwise, the K position is the position on the coin at which this occured. They are the same as the clock face, but k12 is easier to write than 12 o'clock.

Hey James, that's a toughie. I've never heard the word before.I found an article about a new doubled quarter obverse that used the term kolit:

"The bulk of the doubling appears in a horizontal path from K-9:00 (the Kolit position gauged as if you are looking at a clock) to K-3:00. The ear and hair along this path are strongly doubled."

Not sure I understand it.Could be the center? Here's a link to the full article.

http://www.stellacoinnews.com/index.php/dgs-reports-new-variety-listing/

That was my understanding as well - K5 meaning "5:00", for example. But the weird thing is that this reference I was looking at goes to twenty-four! I don't understand what "K21" refers to, for example.

Any insights?

Maybe they are using military time and the 1300-2400 is for the reverse of the coin! (shrug)lol

Doesn't sound right.But maybe.It would be much simpler to state Rev. or Obv.

in general most all of the time if it is off center at k-12 this usually translates into the greatest monetary worth than if the coin was off center at any of the other k1-11 positions at the same degree of off-centered-ness

That was my understanding as well - K5 meaning "5:00", for example. But the weird thing is that this reference I was looking at goes to twenty-four! I don't understand what "K21" refers to, for example.

Any insights?

The simplest explanation is that it is a tpyo, and should have been K12

Any insights?

The simplest explanation is that it is a tpyo, and should have been K12

I'll buy that.