• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this coin worth the price?

16 posts in this topic

A quick search of MS-64 auction prices realized in the last year:

Teletrade

$1600 - NGC no-line holder

$320 - ANACS

$475 - PCGS

$550 - PCGS

DLRC

$598, $724.50, $506 - all PCGS

Heritage

$402.50 - PCGS

$702.65 - PCGS

$460 - NGC

$517.50 - PCGS

This may give you an idea of what other people think, but ultimately it comes down to "is it worth it to you?"

The price seems fair if you like it, but:

1.) I don't care for the look of the coin. You might like it, I don't know.

2.) I don't know how well these usually come struck, but you can probably find better.

3.) That holder ruins it for me. I'm sure you can find a nicer example in a better holder.

I was kind of wondering why it only graded 64. I'm not real familiar with these but it looks better than 64 to me.

Thanks, James. I kinda felt that way about it, also. While their were 36 times(rough guess) as many Denvers minted as San Francisco's only about 2 to 1 trade in the mid MS range. This is from QDB and others who feel this is a sleeper of the series plus being the first Denver mint nickel ever made. I made a trade for the coin and have a little less than that in it but fair to say that was the trade value. I hope to find it in as good condition inhand.

Just to make note of, I also dislike the new holder, but then they never asked my opinion before making the final decision. Now theres a true wonderment.

Bobby, I believe the lack of marks in the fields and the color make the coin look a little better at first glance, but I tend to agree with the grade for this coin.

Thanks to all for your opinions.

Jim

I'm with mister Physics on this one. Maybe it's just the pictures, but the coin looks pretty blah! Maybe it's just bad pictures? As for price, it seems very reasonable if you like it in the grade.

i cant see it in hand but from the photos the coins looks really unappealling and unattractive

now IF the coin in hand has really above average lustre then buy it

IF NOT I WOULD RUN AWAY QUICK

the price or how cheap it is does not matter i could not live with this ugly overgraded coin in my collection again from the photos

as this coin does not grow on me and it will only get worse over time when looking at it in my collection

It just looks too dark. And I can see it's got some slight toning,but I just can't tell the actual color or luster.The details are really great.MS 64 easy.Is that a fair picture of what the coin actually looks like?

One can't really determine the value of a 1912-D nickel from a photo like this. You have to see the surfaces IN PERSON. The only way a photo like this can disqualify a coin is if you note a big scratch or a green or black spot.

An MS-64 1912-D cannot be expected to have white luster. If it does something is wrong because these coins were washed at the Denven mint with a solution that caused them to tone. Ditto for the 1912-S coins.

All you can do is look at this piece at a show or get a return agreement if you don't like it. Sorry, but it's hard to be specific on coins like this.

Thank you, Bill for your great input as usual. I did not know about the Denver mint washing the coins in a solution causing them to tone. I will let you know about its lustre or lack of lustre when it is inhand.

Jim

As promised, here are the photos inhand of this 1912 D Liberty Head Nickel. Lots of luster,unfortunately I can't photo to show what it really looks like, but far better than sellers pic, which must have been a scan which shows no lustre at all.

Thanks again,

Jim

1912DLibertyHeadNickelMS64NGCinhand.jpg

yes it looks like a totally different coin fvrom thefirst coinphoto

totally different

now i like this coin and from the second photo it is all there

usually with photos the coin is worse in person when you finally get it

this coin was way better and the second set of photos confirms this