• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Everything is PC

17 posts in this topic

On the hatred for Scagawea thread, several people have pointed out the PC (politically correct) nature of the coin. Keith got tangential and got pissed about the PC nature of the new Texas state quarter design. So, this made me think, are there ANY current coin designs that anre not PC? If you dig hard enough, the answer is no, at least in part. Dead presidents, suffrage leaders, Native Americans, all are PC, and especially in the context of the time. For heaven's sake, we have Virginia politicians trying to keep TJ and Monticello on the nickel FOREVER! What could be more of a political agenda?

Still, I'd love to see people of great deeds honored, especially on commemorative coinage. But then, do commems become a big grab-bag of PC designs and political agendas? Seems like a potentially circular problem to me.

Many of us have proposed the idea of going back to strictly allegorical figures on our circulating coins. Do you really think the American public would know what the hell was going on if we started having Liberty appear on our coins again? I think it would cause an uproar and be poorly accepted.

Thoughts? Hoot

So, this made me think, are there ANY current coin designs that anre not PC?

Washington quarters and Jefferson nickels are NOT PC. Why have coins with pictures of slave owners?! shocked.gif

If Liberty were portrayed as a Latina sweatshop worker, I think PC people would accept it.

No, not every state quarter is PC. In New Hampshire there was a debate about the motto, "Live free or die." The liberals wanted it off the coin, but in the end it stayed. That's one of the reasons why despite what others might say, I will never trash that design.

PC doesn't mean political agenda. It is putting out images/words that would not be offensive to others. Basically, being as bland as possible.

The Jefferson nickel isn't PC. If it were to be proposed today it would be rejected. He was a slave owner and that would offend blacks and we couldn't have him on our coins.

Perhaps you are right Greg that PC doesn't mean political agenda. But they are close. I think that political correctness always belies a political agenda, or vice-versa.

As for the business of Jefferson or Washington being PC, these people are NOT thought of by the American public as "slave owners." They are thought of as heroes of our nation (and they are). Their images are "not offensive" to most people in this nation, bland (by now anyway - besides, that's completely subjective), and their political correctness is reflected in their demigod status as national icons. And somehow it has become acceptable to our nation to place dead presidents on our coins and currency - it's PC , if you will, although it is not a strictly contemporary issue. So, I beg to differ. (We can agree to disagree, yes?)

An example of the contrarian ways of what we identify as PC: If we had Lewis and Clark on a coin, most would say "great." But the minute we put a Native American on a coin, and Native Americans were seminal to the success of the Corps of Discovery, everyone cries PC!

We seem to not think that things are PC if they settle well on us. It's a matter of perspective.

As for my original post, I am still putting this forth:

Many of us have proposed the idea of going back to strictly allegorical figures on our circulating coins. Do you really think the American public would know what the hell was going on if we started having Liberty appear on our coins again? I think it would cause an uproar and be poorly accepted.

Hoot

PC doesn't mean political agenda. It is putting out images/words that would not be offensive to others. Basically, being as bland as possible.

I like Greg's distinction.

One of the reasons why we've become so PC-oriented is because we also happen to live in the most litigious society in the world.

In many other parts of the world, disagreements are handled violently, or are ignored. If you can't deal with the violence, then you leave it alone.

Here, you just sue. What, that person just said HI to me? Well, I'm gonna sue his butt!

EVP

If we had Lewis and Clark on a coin, most would say "great." But the minute we put a Native American on a coin, and Native Americans were seminal to the success of the Corps of Discovery, everyone cries PC!

The problem isn't putting an Native American on the coin, it is putting one on that most people have no idea who they are. There are lots of great American figures that could be put on a coin. Sacagawea just ranks pretty far down on most peoples lists.

I would say someone like Henry Ford has more significance to the US of today than Sacagawea. Lets put him on a coin?

I would say someone like Henry Ford has more significance to the US of today than Sacagawea.

No doubt. But as I stated on the other thread, I think that what Sacagawea represents is more important than Sadagawea herself. And I suppose I think it is a clouding of thought to allow the PC side of her recognition get in the way of something more meaningful. Both Sacagawea and Henry Ford should have showed up on commems. And we should all become more astute with history.

I too can get pretty pissed about PC issues. I think that this nation is having a hard time moving away from dead presidents and the boondoggles of the dollar coins largely due to trying to please everyone. One of the safety valves for this has been to "go back" and re-create the designs of Weinman or MacNeil, etc. on our coins. I think this is a cop-out. If we are going to eliminate the current trends and move again toward allegory, then we need to have the balls to move forward.

Hoot

Greg hit the nail on the head for me....I look at a Sac dollar and I see a generic looking woman in what I guess could pass for Native American garb. As for significance and a representation of America to me...it's means about as much as if they'd have made a Franklin Pierce or Millard Fillmore dollar.

I guess they're slapping some real restrictive rules on what will go on the California state quarter design as well...we've got tons of people out here that we can spin up.... smirk.gif

All I can say is then you better voice your opinions. And voice them loudly & often.

Most folks would skoff at this - but when you think about it - it kind of makes sense. Littleton did a survey not too long ago. And ya know what 2 of the top choices were to be on our coins ? Elvis & John Wayne.

Sure - go ahead - say so what !! But then think about who Littleton sells to. John Q. Public Not coin collectors - the average American. And they far outnumber coin collectors. So unless you want to see results like that for coin designs - make yourselves heard.

I doubt if our national symbol (Bald Eagle) would be PC in todays political climate. There would be those that claim the eagle represents aggression and savagry and Miss Liberty is a sexist symbol.

You know what you get when you start being overly concerned about everyone's feelings and trying to please everyone?

You get a friggin' platypus! Yep, that poor creature had to be designed by a politically correct committee laugh.gif

In case you don't know what one looks like, here is a link.

Animal Designed by Committee