• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change to Sacagawea set

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Per a member's suggestion, the 2000-D Millennium Dollar now has a separate slot within the MS Sacagawea set.

This will not affect the results of the Registry Awards.

Excellent - thank you. I was wondering if NGC would consider this change.

The only remaining difference between the PCGS and NGC circulation strike Sacagawea sets is that PCGS includes the Glenna Goodacre Presentation version of the 2000-P coin. Here's a link to the PCGS set composition. I'm curious as to NGC's position on adding this coin? I'd also be interested to know if any have been crossed into NGC holders?

Beijim

While we're on the topic, I noticed that the NGC Registry point scores for MS70 circulation strike examples are set to "1" across the board, implying that no MS70 graded coins exist. When I check the population report, however, a lone 2001-D MS70 specimen shows up. Does NGC wait to update the scores until someone actually attempts to register an MS70 coin?

Just curious,

Beijim

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The sets are scored for grades that had been certified at the time of their creation.

I'm making a note to update the MS-70 column for this issue on Monday.

Somebody refresh my memory about the Goodacre Sacs. If I remember correctly, they were are all found in the Millenium sets, but not all Millenium sets contain them?

Does anyone have a scan of a Goodacre Sac? I do not collect Sacs and have forgotten the surface details, as they are not listed in any of my books.

893frustrated.gif

Somebody refresh my memory about the Goodacre Sacs. If I remember correctly, they were are all found in the Millenium sets, but not all Millenium sets contain them?

Does anyone have a scan of a Goodacre Sac? I do not collect Sacs and have forgotten the surface details, as they are not listed in any of my books.

893frustrated.gif

No. A Goodacre Sacagawea is one of the coins that were specially prepared (how is not clear and up for debate) and given to Glenna Goodacre as payment for her design. I believe she was paid $5,000 (possibly $10,000) for the design. She had them all slabbed by ICG and started selling them for something like $200 a pop.

The ones in the Millennium sets are different. They were possibly burnished. Most of the Millennium sets contain these, but some contain normal Sacs.

Some mint sets contain Sacs that look like the ones from the Millennium sets. They look like it so much that one I sent in was designated as a Millennium Sac even though it wasn't submitted in the Millennium set. shocked.gif

Thanks for the response, Greg. The Sac in my Millenium Set looks burnished, instead of like a business strike. That is what had me confused.

Greg is correct. Ms. Goodacre's honorarium was $5,000, which she elected to take as 5,000 Sacagawea coins with the special finish that was used only for this purpose. As I recall, she did not have all 5,000 coins certified. I believe she kept half back and submitted half for grading. I could, however, be wrong about this specific detail and would appreciate correction if so!

smirk.gif

Beijim

No, you got it right. 5,000 were delivered, tubed, from the Mint whereas she had half that mintage holdered by ICG.

Does NGC now recognize this if a PCGS (or, ICG) coin is crossed?

Last I heard (and I don't really keep up on these coins) is that NGC would not cross them since they believed there was something done to them after minting. They might have changed that in the last couple of years, but I don't know.

Last I heard (and I don't really keep up on these coins) is that NGC would not cross them since they believed there was something done to them after minting. They might have changed that in the last couple of years, but I don't know.

I thought that logic held up with the Millennium Sets too- even the Silver Eagles where it is a fact there is NO minting difference between them and the "regular" Eagles- but I see NGC now accepts those.

Interesting. Yet I've never seen or heard of a Goodacre in an NGC holder.