• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desperate for help ASAP

11 posts in this topic

I have what was a beautiful Early Dollar (PCGS AU50) that suddenly started turn color inside the holder. The plastic ring that holds the coin in place has a weird yellowish tinge to it, and the coin actually has developed some staining by the periphery.

NGC DNC'ed this coin saying that it has staining.

What shall I do? I really do NOT want to lose this coin. It is simply beautiful. Should I crack it out NOW and submit it to NCS?

If the coin is ruined, I also don't want to lose the warranty. (Mark Feld, you saw this coin at the show.)

EVP

PS The yellowish color on the ring was there when I submitted it at the show, but there was no staining then.

EVP- You were smart to take it public on the CU forum. It seems like PCGS is much more likely to honor their grade guarantee if the coin is the topic of discussion in a public forum. Ex. They rejected Legends claim and then after Laura went public with it they reversed course and made good on the guarantee.

I don't care so much about the money. I want the coin.

This is part of what I wrote to Charlie (at PCGS):

``This coin is very special. It has an incredible amount of luster and fresh skin. It is better than most ChAU Morgan Dollars that I've seen, and I'm talking about a Bust Dollar!!! It is imperative that this coin be saved. There are many high grade Bust Dollars, but seldom with this kind of eye appeal and freshness.''

EVP

I'd send it back to PCGS to be examined. If they can fix it they will. If they can't, then it is a problem coin and you should be happy to get rid of it.

With a high value coin like this I would not crack it.

Glad you sent it to PCGS. I think that was the best first course of action. If PCGS refuses to do anything, you should try using NCS. They are very skilled and the coin will likely cross to NGC after submission.

Hoot

Hmmm - EVP, when I saw the title of this thread I thought you'd finally broken down and joined "Coin Buyers Anonymous" ! wink.gif

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess the coin was probably enhanced and is now turning. I had a beautiful 1877 trade dollar in a PCGS MS64 holder and thought that if it was lightened just a bit it would be the first MS65. The luster just dripped off the coin.

It was dipped slightly and all the luster up and went away. It totally looked like cr@p. That really, really scares me - that el Dr is good enough to get a net graded MS64 out of an enhanced coin!

So anyway, I fear the same for your coin. Let us know how it turns out.

The only thing I'll say is that I have had FAR more trouble with PCGS coins growing ugly toning and spots in the slab than with NGC pieces. I've had some NGC coins tone a little, but nothing like the few small and one large disaster I've had with PCGS.

For that reason I feel more comfortable with PCGS coins that have green labels. At least you know they have looked like that for a while and might be stable. I might come to feel the same way about pieces with the bar code on the back since that is now the best way to know if the blue label coins have been in the holder for a while.

A little bit more history about this coin is in order...

I won it in a Bowers auction in Jan, 1999. It was in an old NGC holder than as AU50. Very shortly there after, perhaps at the FUN show, I had it crossed to a PCGS holder (AU50). From then until now, this coin has resided in the same holder. Over the past 2 years or nearly, it has also resided in an Intercept Shield box.

As for the way the coin looks, it is very lightly toned. The coin is pretty much what you see. The yellow color on the plastic ring is a recent development. Very recent!

I have no fear about this coin being doctored, but who knows?!?

In short, this coin has been stable for 3+ years. Is that not that long? I dunno... From what I've heard, coins that turn usually turn much sooner than that!

EVP