• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic phototgraphy... Advice , comments (part 2)

13 posts in this topic

Hello again all. I've found that the hardest aspect of this hobby above all other aspects is the imaging of our prized possesions.

I've experimented with different cameras (I've upgraded from my Nikon "coolpix" 7600 with 7.1 megapixels, to a canon powershot G-10 with 14.7 megapixels) but as we all know, the camera itself is not the only factor in reproducing realistic "in-hand" photos. Picasso could paint a better pic with a Q-tip then I could ever paint with the finest art supplies just as Mark Goodman could probably take a better pic with a polaroid then I will ever be able to take with the most expensive camera in the world.

In addition to the camera upgrade (and purchasing Mark Goodman's book on numismatic photography) I've decided to try my best & improve my photo taking abilitity (or inability).

Well to make a long story short , or a short story long :)

I've decided to post some then & now pics & get some opinions from you fine folks here. I am very aware that my pics still have a very looooong way to go , but if you would be so kind to comment as to any improvements that I've made and any improvements that I COULD make , please let me know as I appreciate your knowledge & input. The 1st 2 pics are images that I took with the old camera and good old sunlight, the 3rd & 4th pics are with the new camera & 2 halogen lights. Thanks & Regards,

Don (FilthyHoard)

STGAUDENS001.jpg[/img]

STGAUDENS003.jpg[/img]

IMG_0571.jpg[/img]

IMG_0574.jpg[/img]

They are good. Much better than your old camera. Cannot get much better "in hand" looking pictures than those last two; although they are some others here that have truly raised the standard.

Did you use a stand? What size halogens?

I agree that this is the toughest part of collecting.

I agree Dean, fighting the glare/reflections IS the hardest part :pullhair: , but hopefully I'll improve with some more practice & experimentation.

At times, it's a little intimidating posting pics in here with all the great photos that are taken by you guys, but if I don't post my pics (good, horrible or other) I won't benefit from your advice.

And Jake , right now I'm using a pair of 20w halogen with a mini table-top tripod. I'm looking into purchasing a copy stand but is there anything specific I should look for in a copy stand? I don't want to spend a lot, or buy something that will require me to build an extra room in my house to accomodate it.

Thanks for the link Bob!!

I was looking at copy stands in my local camera store & they were more expensive & the same if not lesser quality. Hopefully it will help further my photographic development :)

The copy stand from the link is simple but does a great job. My camera is a Digital Rebel, which in itself does not weigh very much, but when I attach the macro lens the weight is doubled. The stand has no problem whatsoever. In my opinion the ease of use is much simpler and easier to adjust the elevation of the camera than a tripod. Their site also has a smaller model, but if you have a macro lens any larger than 60-80mm, the camera won't be able to be raised high enough.

The copy stand from the link is simple but does a great job. My camera is a Digital Rebel, which in itself does not weigh very much, but when I attach the macro lens the weight is doubled. The stand has no problem whatsoever. In my opinion the ease of use is much simpler and easier to adjust the elevation of the camera than a tripod. Their site also has a smaller model, but if you have a macro lens any larger than 60-80mm, the camera won't be able to be raised high enough.

I happen to own the same stand and will heartily second the opinion. Adjustable with a solid base, good flat top, and absolutely will hold the camera perfectly. I have rarely had to retake a picture because of blurriness secondary to moving the camera.

Worth every penny.

I would like to thank you guys for your help & advice. I've already placed the order & even with the $22 shipping it still was cheaper than the one I was thinking about purchasing!!

You guys rock!!! :headbang:

I think the pictures look good. A copy stand will help a lot. For me, I'm still learning and experimenting. The taking pictures of my coins (or trying to take pictures) has added a lot of fun to the hobby. About the time I think I have it figured out I get hit with a slap of reality. Try moving the lights around, adjusting the things you can adjust and see what happens. I also have found it helpful to write things down so I know what I've tried for various types of coins pictured.

• Administrator
I think the images are good. Fighting the glare from the slab is sometimes the show stopper.

http://www.rosco.com/us/technotes/filters/pol_filter_reduce_glare.asp

Rosco Polarizing Filler is not intended to replace a camera lens polarizer. A lens polarizer may be used separately to reduce glare, but its effectiveness is then limited to a very specific placement of the camera in relation to the glare producing surface (about 55° off center axis).

For this reason, it is best to employ polarizing filters on both the lights and the camera. This "cross polarization" technique allows greater flexibility in the placement of the camera. This technique is especially useful when the camera is directly facing the subject, such as when copying artwork or animation cells.

Try moving the lights around, adjusting the things you can adjust and see what happens. I also have found it helpful to write things down so I know what I've tried for various types of coins pictured.

Exactly right. Also try manipulating the coin around bit by bit each time you move the lights. There is no shortage of combinations and they all result in different outcomes, some good and some not. It's a painstaking process, but worth it in the end. At least hopefully. Thank goodness for digital as opposed to film.

Here is another set of then & now photos.

This time , a toned coin that I originally posted back in March from a thread titled. "Photography Related question (HELP!!!)"

Again, 1st pic is with my old camera & not a clue

2nd pic is with the new camera & a bit more practice & helpful advice from you guys. I'm still not 100% happy (probably never will be :grin: ), but the colors look very true to in-hand. Also the new pics were taken without the use of performance enhancing drugs. :grin:

And as always, I appreciate your feedback/advice.

DSCN2026.jpg[/img]

IMG_0582.jpg[/img]