• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Centennial Eagle

11 posts in this topic

Hello

This is my first attempt to post pictures. Here is my new centennial eagle. My next objective is to try to take my own pictures. Hopefully I'll find some time for this over the summer.

f.jpg

b.jpg

I love that date and I love the coin! Very nice patina on it. :takeit:

The pics are a tad out of focus and no luster is seen but it appears to show the essence of the coin pretty darn well.

Nothing wrong with that image. I'll give it 2 (thumbs u (thumbs u up!! Nice Eagle.

(thumbs u (thumbs u :banana: :banana:

Good morning,

Sorry about the confusion with my first post. I didn't take these pictures. They are from the auction house. I have been admiring all of the nice pictures that other people include with their posts, so my goal for last night was to learn how to post pictures. The goal of actually taking good pictures is a task that I still need to accomplish. So this post was kind of a test post. I also wanted to share these coin pictures because even though the strike is a bit weak, I like the look of the coin. What can I say, I love Liberty gold coins.

By the way, how were you able to improve the focus of the coin. I didn't know that you could do that. Pretty neat! Did you use Photoshop to do this?

Actually, DesertGold, you were clear about your goals. I guess that I mucked up the waters but I figured since your goals were also to learn how to shoot good images that I'd give you feedback on the pics provided.

Getting the right equipment isn't so tough if you have $1000 or less for a nice digital camera, a macro lens (much better than the supermacro or macro setting on the camera since more light can reach the coin with the lens) and a copy stand.

Proper lighting is by far the hardest aspect of coin photography to master.

I strongly suggest you picking up a copy of Mark Goodman's book, "Numismatic Photography" available on ebay. He is one of the best and he goes over his techniques.

And, yes photo software can sharpen an image. I always use the software that came with my Canon PowerShot Pro1. It's all that I've ever needed. But, it does take lots of practice to get used to it. I'll give you any tips you need if you get Canon software.

p.s. I love your taste in gold!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a Canon Powershot and Mark Goodman's book. All I need to get is some time and a macro lens. I'm looking forward to learning how to take good photos. Right now all the coin photos in my registry sets came from the auction houses and some of them are better than others. It will be nice to eventually have more uniformity in the pictures (hopefully excellent uniform pictures instead of poor uniform pictures). Wish me luck.

Desert Gold, almost any image editing software will have a sharpening function. It's very common. The trick is not to oversharpen the picture because you will introduce visual artifacts.

I know you didn't ask to have it sharpened. I just saw the picture was a little blurry and I was a little bored. :)