• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could i ask a simple question ?

18 posts in this topic

..and get a straightforward simple answer please?

Ive come across a coin that appears to be an error , ive posted it on a couple of coin forums but although it got high marks for looks..nobody picked up on what i think is possibly an error.

Is there something up with this coin in your opinions ? Thanks

79618.jpg.eebb7df61b64985d1bc75264769bbe88.jpg

From his forehead down along his nose looks like its a double strike ? I dont know much about errors but its very apparant , none of my other franklins have this.

Ive searched dozens of proof franklin pics on line to see..a 61 dd strike is mentioned..not a 62..i dont know

As far as I know, only the 1961 Proof issues have a true “doubled died” striking dies with the doubling at E PLURIBUS UNUM on the reverse.

What this coin displays could very well be “mechanical” or what is often referred to as “ejection” doubling. Vibration during the striking causes the die to move slightly producing a second “shelf like” image of the original design. The next coins struck may or may not have the same effect, where-as a doubled die variety will be every coin struck with that double hubbed die. They are not that common with proof coinage and will command a slight premium over regular produced proofs. (slipping past Mint Q&A)

It looks to be a proof coin and if the apparently doubled forehead is not an artifact of the image then it would likely be something along the lines of machine doubling.

It looks to be a proof coin and if the apparently doubled forehead is not an artifact of the image then it would likely be something along the lines of machine doubling.

I noticed that immediately as well and also concluded machine doubling. Hub doubling would be very sharp and distinct vs rounded edges. Also, the forehead area is the only place the doubling is evident from what I see.

From his forehead down along his nose looks like its a double strike ? I dont know much about errors but its very apparant , none of my other franklins have this.

Ive searched dozens of proof franklin pics on line to see..a 61 dd strike is mentioned..not a 62..i dont know

.........it appears to be machine/shelf doubling. in my opinion. :popcorn:

It looks like an extreme case of machine doubling, but if the coin is in fact double struck (which it does not appear to be from this image), then it would be a somewhat valuable mint error.

We could use some better pictures, close-ups of the letters, forehead, and other areas.

Then we would be able to give you a better idea if it is machine or hub doubling.

I will concur that it is machine doubling. It adds no value to the coin, and in some cases may actually detract from the coin.

I will also add, as a Franklin collector who also dabbles in the double dies, that there are *very* few double dies in the Franklin series showing doubling on the portrait. There are few which show doubling on the bell, also, with a couple very noticeable exceptions (for example, look at the 1951 in my registry set).

physics-fan3.14, your statement "It adds no value to the coin, and in some cases may actually detract from the coin." is agreeable to me within the realm of the mass struck business Franklins.

When it comes to manufactured proofs how ever, anomalies were not the norm and collectors do pay a slight premium for coins struck in this nature. This coin did in fact escape the inspectors eye (albeit a cursory inspection in nature) but had it been caught, it would have been removed and tossed into the "melt" bin.

Gentlemen , thank you very much for all your comments.Im truly appreciative.I wasnt sure what to make of it , i happen to collect comm half dollars and recently branched out into seated and bust halfs which led me to all the others.

I couldnt pass this one up as it appears to be a very high grade possibly proof.The error effect i didnt even notice until i seen the photo.

There is definately something awry about it , not quite right , i like it a lot.What i find odd is i read about errors worth lots of dosh , i find one and its detracting from an already minimal value ?

I think ill just put this one away for a future investigation,thanks for all your helpful replys :)

i have no idea

in fact this is the first time i have looked at a franklin more than a few seconds in the last 5 years

lol No really I think others have nailed it, but with that said cool looking coin.