• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A fabulous BLOG by David Lange regarding high-relief Mercury dimes...

13 posts in this topic

... can be found right here . I love learning new things about coins that I hadn't even dreamed of, and David is one of the best at writing about them.

Enjoy!

Thanks James. (thumbs u

Thanks James! I'm not a collector of them so I didn't know there was so many differences in these. Great Info David!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is actually an excerpt from my book The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes, which is now online at Stella, though hardcopies of the second edition are still in print, too.

This is actually an excerpt from my book The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes, which is now online at Stella, though hardcopies of the second edition are still in print, too.

David, do you have a hardcopy you could sign and sell me? Thanks.

I have a hardcopy that he signed I'm trying to sell, PM me for a good deal.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I sell my various books at my website: coincollectingboards.net

Thanks for the new link.

I know this is an old thread but I remember when I bought the 1st ed of this book back in 93 or so and read it I was always a bit surprised that the info David put in there about the early design changes never caught on. Even today (long after I quit collecting Mercs) I still see the differences in the 1917 and 1918 coins. I always felt that eventually the TPGs would pick up on TYPE 1 and TYPE 2 Mercs...I was wrong obviously...

jom

Probably most of the good, modern research done by David Lange and others is "unknown" because collectors don't bother to buy the books and read them; and dealers/auction companies don't care if what they publish is accurate or not.

For an example, look at the 1913 pattern nickel (J-1950) ad in CW - a very prominent dealer expressing profound ignorance in the description, yet accurate information is readily available for a few dollars.