• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know many of you haven't come around yet regarding the EdgeView holders...

50 posts in this topic

... but I like them. Honestly, if I were getting my collection certified, I would insist on the EdgeView for every coin, regardless of size.

I just cataloged a 1936 satin proof buffalo in one of those "other holders", and the confounded gooey rubbery insert gloops and globs over the edge of the coin just enough to obscure inspection of the rims, which I really enjoy when examining a proof buffalo. I want to see the squared off edges, doggone it! What's the point of having a genuine proof buffalo nickel if I can't even see the attributes that confirm it as such?

More EdgeView for me, please!

rantrant rant over :) .

I love 'em for busties. Allows a little more light to envelop the coin for viewing/photographing, and you can see the edge lettering. What's not to like? :headbang:

There's give and take. While exposing portions of the rim, it also obscure portions of the coin that would be visible in the older holders. Not to mention the eye sore the three prongs make on photos.

for big coins it looks good. for small it doesnt. but to each his / her own. i have some world coins that look wonderful in the new prong holder :)

i still like pcgs holder better though cause more light seems to get to coin, and you can still see a edge.they stack better also.

I like my half cents in the new Edgeview Holders but I don't know if IHC's would look good in them. Here is a couple of coins in them.

1809-1000.jpg

1809-2000.jpg

1835-0001.jpg

1835-0002.jpg

Well, I'll be the hater... they are horrible and I really dislike taking pictures of coins that are in them. I can see some advantage for certain coins, but for the most part they are horrible.

I still dont like how they cover the edges. Seems to take away from them if you try to photo them. If they are going to have the edgeview holders then I think they should offer photos like PCGS does with them not in the holders.

... but I like them. Honestly, if I were getting my collection certified, I would insist on the EdgeView for every coin, regardless of size.

I just cataloged a 1936 satin proof buffalo in one of "those other" holders, and the confounded gooey rubbery insert gloops and globs over the edge of the coin just enough to obscure inspection of the rims, which I really enjoy when examining a proof buffalo. I want to see the squared off edges, doggone it! What's the point of having a genuine proof buffalo nickel if I can't even see the attributes that confirm it as such?

More EdgeView for me, please!

rantrant rant over :) .

I am a huge fan of them as well, however, there are serious flaws in it. Irritating prongs aside, some coins do not sit in the holders very well. I have had multiple coins now that are spinning around in the slab. Some also rattle around when you simply flip the slab over. On the Bust halves I've gotten edgeviews on, a few of them rattled around, but they have multiple options of gasket sizes to choose from to get the right fit, and I simply sent them back to be re-done. Unfortunately, I've had this problem on standard size, close-collar coins, as well. On my Washington quarters, which only have 1 standard gasket size availabe, they cant do anything fix this problem. A coin struck under less pressure than usual (very common on 20th century coins) will be slightly thicker and also smaller in diameter than what the standard 25C gasket allows for. Thus there's no way to make it fit. Withthe old holders, undersize coins had more friction points (becuase the gasket went all the way around), and there was much less movement.

I like them. They look awful in pictures, but in person I think they are an improvement.

I'd like to see clear prongs holding the coin. NGC could still use the white slab core, but just clear prongs around the coin.

old NGC vs Edgeview holders: no comparison for half dimes. The light transmission in the Edgeview holders is far, far superior to that in the old holders. An MS63 to MS65 half dime in an old NGC holder is a travesty, for one can't fully appreciate the luster of the coin. In an Edgeview holder, the luster can be seen and appreciated.

Well, I was pretty well sold on the idea until today. I get a lot of 1 oz silver issues that have a narrow gap with short prongs. All the coins I've handled in them up to this point have been held in the prongs well and couldn't move. I just got a coin today though that has a tiny fraction of an inch of "wiggle room." and it can move back and forth in the prongs when the coin is flipped over. This is extremely disconcerting. The coin is 90% silver, 10% copper and I can't help but wonder if moving back and forth like that poses a long term problem for the coin. I'm tempted to send it back in with my next submission.

Is NGC still giving you a choice of holders?I know they were until a month or so back. I sent in a bunch and completely forgot to ask.

I like them on half dollars and dollars only! I just wish the prongs were clear instead on white. They would look 1000% better if they were clear.

Is NGC still giving you a choice of holders?I know they were until a month or so back. I sent in a bunch and completely forgot to ask.

No, all holders are now edgeview. They made it officla in Feb or March.

Not true, I just got a coin back recently, Morgan, and it was not in an edgeview, and I can't tell you how happy I am about that!! :)

I like them on half dollars and dollars only! I just wish the prongs were clear instead on white. They would look 1000% better if they were clear.

I just got my first coin back in the new holder and was thinking the same thing. I was thinking maybe a darker color plastic instead of the dead white color which is so distracting from the coin.

Your idea of clear plastic sounds even better!!

Pat

I think they may still be using up the older holders for some sizes.

I had one invoice that came back with the old cores and another that came back with the Edge Views. They shipped a day apart. (shrug)

Greg, when was that? Thats how they were doing it a month or two back. They said the edgeview was in full affect recently, however. I would not be surprised, of course, if this weren't the case...

1809-1000.jpg

1809-2000.jpg

Not only do the horrible prongs cover up a notable proportion of the rim and face of the coin in photos, they can cast a shadow over additional areas of the face that they don't cover to begin with! Consider Dean's coin above as an example. These things are the worst-designed pieces of junk I've ever seen.

I've personally passed on coins at this point for the sole reason that they were slabbed in the new holders. I'm sure I'm not the only one. People have now lost money because of the market unacceptability of these holders.

NGC's official line is that everything is in the edgeview holders now. Some pieces are still coming back in the old slabs but that is probably just until they run out of stock materials.

The simple solution is, as Greg and others suggested, is to have a crystal clear, plastic tipped prongs. Most everybody would be happy then.

People can get used to most anything, but the three-pronged distraction on photos can never be easily overlooked. NGC needs to work a bit harder on quality control as well. Having a loose fitting coin is not acceptable.

Greg, when was that? Thats how they were doing it a month or two back. They said the edgeview was in full affect recently, however. I would not be surprised, of course, if this weren't the case...

They were shipped to me April 28th.

Not only do the horrible prongs cover up a notable proportion of the rim and face of the coin in photos, they can cast a shadow over additional areas of the face that they don't cover to begin with!

I believe the shadow that you reference would be significantly larger if this were in the old non-pronged holder. My guess is that this half-cent was illuminated with a single light source (which is how I image my coins), but many photographers use two or three lamps, which would attenuate the shadows somewhat, if not completely.

I can definitely see where the problem with looser fit would come in, since there's less surface area holding the coin place.

Not only do the horrible prongs cover up a notable proportion of the rim and face of the coin in photos, they can cast a shadow over additional areas of the face that they don't cover to begin with!

I believe the shadow that you reference would be significantly larger if this were in the old non-pronged holder. My guess is that this half-cent was illuminated with a single light source (which is how I image my coins), but many photographers use two or three lamps, which would attenuate the shadows somewhat, if not completely.

Depends on the coin, the lighting, and the particular mounting job, but I think that the prong design kills the aesthetics on many coins. Like I said, I doubt I'm the only person out there who's passed on coins because we don't like the new holder. If I decide to do any slabbing, I'm going with PCGS until NGC (which I prefer) gets their holdering act together.