• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

split decision on a stained $3 PCGS 58

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

I posted earlier about an 1874 three-dollar that has nice reddish toning but

has a noticeable dark mark on the reverse that starts at 12:00 and bisects the space between the tobacco stalks. It's shaped like a skinny tornado and is about 1/4" in lenght. It stops at the top of the "3." I paid full retail for the coin ($1270) but the dealer has offered to refund my money. I tried to scan the coin but it does not show well. The pictures are "doctored"-note the red that hides the stain:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1394932538&rd=1

Still the toning was evident and shows clearly on the obverse. NCS said that removing the stain was probably not possible.

What would you do? I'm probably going to send it back-but have mixed feelings about it.

Thanks,

e

considering how resistant gold is to "staining", surprised NCS couldn't conserve it. Are you sure it's not something more like a streaky planchet? If so, PCGS probably considered it a minor flaw. Though have to say, from scan, grade looks a little generous. If it were raw, I'd have guessed it'd go PCGS 55. Or maybe they only undergrade my gold coins shocked.gif

Thanks for the info.

I am not sure what a streaky planchet would look like, but considering the toning that the coin exhibits, perhaps the copper bled through the gold. I really like the toning and maybe should show it to a gold expert in the San Diego area. If there are any gold-heads down here please let me know. I wish my scanner was more accurate.

Thanks,

Barney

enriched:

I don't know what caused the toning (possibly excess copper in that part of the coin, as you suggested?) but I do know that once I find something I dislike about a coin, every time I look at the coin my eye goes first to the spot I find annoying. In my opinion, if you have mixed feelings about the coin, your opinion of the coin is unlikely to improve over time. Personally, I'd send the coin back and wait to find one that I 100% liked.

Mark

I've seen gold coins with coppery toning that I really liked. It gives the piece a "warm" look that is much nicer than the "bleached out" white look of a piece that has been severely cleaned.

Still I too draw that line at copper marks that become dark brown or black. Those marks can be just plain ugly.

BTW the consigner probably used an option on his picture adjustment software that increased the red color in the photoes. I've fooled with this on my computer, and it's possible to give a white coin some monster toning. If the color looks odd in a computer photo that is a good chance that it is "enhanced." tongue.gif Check out the attached picture. This 1831 quarter is actually a white coin with no toning! shocked.gif

65009-3125CR.JPG.5c380a00e15435deac85408fd7b1d8dd.JPG

I have attached a $5 Half Eagle with extensive copper toning. For some reason $5 gold from 1900 to 1908 seems to have more pieces with copper toning. I have some others as well (see attachment). tongue.gif

65068-1903SHalfEag.jpg.2b2431a41e593e52c3d506b4782391cd.jpg