• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANSWER POSTED! Please GONG (grade or no grade) an interesting 1895-O Morgan!

19 posts in this topic

Tough call - It does not appear to be holdered right now as I am sure James is not that good - Well maybe he is :foryou:

Obviously cleaned to me ..

You got the scratches bewteen the STAR and the ONE on the REVERSE in an attempt to remove a tone spot it appears.

You got Rim damage above the B and the US on the Obverse.

The color is right except for the "GREEN" ??? That bothers me ...

Looks like some grafitti on the lower neck ...

VF35 details

GONG

It appears that it was dipped to remove a verdigris-type of environ toning and then thumbed hard in certain areas to try and remove the remaining "green", and has toned some since then.

I will go with VF30.

I have to also gong it .

Rim Ding.

That green stuff ( although I have seen many coins with minor Verdigris Certified)

The scruffs on the reverse by the one

Cleaned – I am going to guess that this coin had a lot of crud on it that was removed by a cleaning

Now with all that being said I am going to guess we are all wrong and it was graded !!!

My reason is, this looks like an obvious problem coin so James wanted to make us all look silly

:D

If its not in a holder, its not far off....stick it in your pocket for a while...it might lose a little detail but it should gain a more natural look and maybe make the rim ding a little less evident.

And the answer is .... BAGGED FOR PVC!

I agree with this assessment, as that is what the green slimy stuff is on the coin. I'm not so sure it's been cleaned, and in hand, believe it or not, a strong light shows significant remaining mint luster. I am going to get it conserved, and if successful, I feel EF-40 is a lock, with 45 a possibility.

Are these GONG threads useful?

THANKS for all the GONGs!

I agree with this assessment, as that is what the green slimy stuff is on the coin. I'm not so sure it's been cleaned, and in hand, believe it or not, a strong light shows significant remaining mint luster. I am going to get it conserved, and if successful, I feel EF-40 is a lock, with 45 a possibility.

Useful and fun

Does "get it conserved" mean sending it to NCS? Acetone would be a more economical route, and would get rid of the PVC.

Does "get it conserved" mean sending it to NCS? Acetone would be a more economical route, and would get rid of the PVC.

Let's just say - I'm not paying for conservation of this particular piece :) ...

James.....do you think you could wait more 8 hours before you post the answer. I love your posts but I don't usually even get to post before you post the answer.

Thanks Jaime

James.....do you think you could wait more 8 hours before you post the answer. I love your posts but I don't usually even get to post before you post the answer.

Thanks Jaime

OK! I will do that in the future.