• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'VE BEEN GYPPED!!! :(

7 posts in this topic

My mother got me my first $20 Saint for Christmas. Although not perfect (you can see numerous contact marks in the fields), it's still a wonderful present, especially the first time I've ever owned one.

1.JPG

But then I decided to take a closer look. As I looked on the reverse, I noticed a small seam going all the way around the coin. Curious, I picked at the seam until I was able to break it lose. They hollowed out the coin and replaced it with something else!

2.JPG

I stared at the strange substance for a minute. It definitely didn't have the look or feel of any kind of metal I've worked with. Curious, I gave it the taste test.

3.JPG

And that's my *BURP* sad story for the holidays.

I fear what you may have here is a cast counterfeit, especially since the obverse has the date 1986 in Roman numerals (like the early American eagle bullion coins), yet the reverse is the one used from 1908-33. Clearly a very poor copy, cast in milk chocolate and only plated in gold tin foil.

On a serious note, as a Saint collector, I have seen a number of very good fakes over the years, and some really poor ones (not much different from this one). Probably the worst counterfeit Saint I've seen was one dated 1919 that I saw in Europe.