• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy a Morgan with a BLACK SPOT ...

17 posts in this topic

...if it was a somewhat rarer date. It is now house in one of the top 4 coin grading services. I believe it has been cleaned and has residual residue. I also think that NCS may be able to clean it up and still have NGC grade it

(not being it one already) Do you think that spot would come out ...

Would you even buy it in the first place ??

:blahblah:

79060.jpg.cb1bee0c1c55d539069db92ffa33b579.jpg

I would skip it and look for a better example.

They are tough to come by in an 'affordable' price range - This coin has some really good details ... so I am undecided.

Unless it's really cheap, why buy a coin that you'll have to get conserved? Just buy one that you like as is.

They are tough to find WITH out spotting - The pictured is in an AU holder which I can afford - Going MS is out of my price range. So a lot of coins are eliminated that are available either BY price or SPOTTING worse than this.

I will keep looking though :)

I need an 1896-S in AU/BU as well, and would definitely consider that one.

I decided on a XF40 cause of $

I will PM you the link

Mike

I guess if you are working on a complete set of Morgan dollars, it might be worth it depending upon the price. If you are not working on the set of Morgans, I'd pass. Why pay good money to buy a semi-key date in a series that is easy to find as a type coin if you aren't going for the set?

The Gray Sheet bids are $180 in EF to $675 in AU. Given the eye appeal issue plus the fact that you are going to spend more money on it to have it "fixed" and re-holdered with hope that the "fix" works, I'd be included to price it closer to EF than AU. The coin is okay for what it is, but if the spot on the reverse bugs you enough to think about not getting it, that would be another reason to pass.

You are also looking for a slab crossover which can be a real minefield. My experience has been that it’s better to buy the coin in the slab you want rather than going though the aggravation and expense of the crossover.

I guess if you are working on a complete set of Morgan dollars, it might be worth it depending upon the price. If you are not working on the set of Morgans, I'd pass. Why pay good money to buy a semi-key date in a series that is easy to find as a type coin if you aren't going for the set?

The Gray Sheet bids are $180 in EF to $675 in AU. Given the eye appeal issue plus the fact that you are going to spend more money on it to have it "fixed" and re-holdered with hope that the "fix" works, I'd be included to price it closer to EF than AU. The coin is okay for what it is, but if the spot on the reverse bugs you enough to think about not getting it, that would be another reason to pass.

You are also looking for a slab crossover which can be a real minefield. My experience has been that it’s better to buy the coin in the slab you want rather than going though the aggravation and expense of the crossover.

Good points Thanks Bill - Yes I am going for a complete set LESS the over dates/mm for now any way

I

I

V

sig.jpg

With another black spot. What's up with that? lol

Less obvious and they all have them at least in my price range.

This one is in a top top 2 TPG instead of a top 4

More money left so spend on another hole in the set :)

Hows that :)