• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pink Barbie Coins? Does this hobby need girls THIS badly?

What do you think?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

45 posts in this topic

Tuvalu and Somalia seem to make coins for anyone that will pay them to do it. I just tend to ignore things like this.

Perth mint actually make it ;) lots of our releases are under Tuvalu authority

Waste of silver.. how many coin collectors are little girls ?

i like it..........................

promotes the hobby to younger girls* and it might stick with some as they get older and maybe eventually become great numismatists and it is fun!! *also to other older and younger men and women too!

mess i would buy these if icould get them at around melt and i bet they would be great sellers at melt plus 50-100%

better than pcgs proof 70 dcam 1963 lincoln cents at 40k or similar

at least these barbie coins are fun and in the $20-$30 dollar range

i like it i like it i like it

or did i say that already?? :foryou:

To each thier own but not something that would make me look twice. I voted waste of silver, BUT, I have seen worse.

and i have always had a thing for women that were really pretty with wasp waists and big tits

(tsk)shall we not forget that we do have ladies on these boards.

these barbie coins are fun and in the $20-$30 dollar range

Guess again. They're closer to $80-90, raw.

these barbie coins are fun and in the $20-$30 dollar range

Guess again. They're closer to $80-90, raw.

Then this PF70 Ucam must be a steal at $125.Ha!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Australia-Tuvalu-S-1-Barbie-50th-NGC-PF70-UC-NGC_W0QQitemZ350195661975QQihZ022QQcategoryZ3375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Perth mint actually make it ;) lots of our releases are under Tuvalu authority

Waste of silver.. how many coin collectors are little girls ?

Well, I know my 12 year old sister is a collector. Of course, she would much rather get a couple of those Russian ballet commems than this barbie stuff. I'm actually thinking about getting her one of those for her birthday in June.

And yes, this hobby does need more girls. Lots more.

Well, I know my 12 year old sister is a collector. Of course, she would much rather get a couple of those Russian ballet commems than this barbie stuff. I'm actually thinking about getting her one of those for her birthday in June.

And yes, this hobby does need more girls. Lots more.

Those are nice and I'll probably end up getting one or two if I can find one reasonably priced from a seller that isn't in China and isn't going to ask an arm for shipping.

I'm totally a Barbie collector (besides comics) and would love one of these coins. This topic brought me into this forum - these are wildly fun!

I know they say "collect what you like", but this is pretty ridiculous.

As an auction cataloger, there are many coins for which I often think to myself: I really hope I never have to catalog one of those, because I won't be able to keep a straight face doing so... and it might come through in the auction description.

Now if you collected Barbies, you wouldn't think it "ridiculous."

And you're right - you have to collect what you like. There is a market for everything!

I don't like the coin.........But I did buy the butterfly Set from Canada for my girl!! She loves them and that is all that matters!!

While I am not interested in this coin, I am not bothered by its existence.

I know there are Barbie fans and collectors who will love the coin. It will generate some interest in collecting with both young and not-so-young females--which is not a bad thing.

This is another example of a world mint taking advantage of a market where they think they can sell products. I have seen NCLT coins from non-US mints commemorating the Apollo 11 moon landing, famous artists, composers, US presidents, motorcycles, guitars, and more! Although I wouldn't buy these coins (except the Somali motorcycle coins), I see nothing wrong with the concept.

Scott :hi:

I wouldn't say that I'm bothered by its existence either. My first reaction upon seeing it was to laugh. I just never thought I'd see something like this. The fact that someone had it slabbed also left me chuckling.

I know there are Barbie fans and collectors who will love the coin. It will generate some interest in collecting with both young and not-so-young females--which is not a bad thing.

This is another example of a world mint taking advantage of a market where they think they can sell products. I have seen NCLT coins from non-US mints commemorating the Apollo 11 moon landing, famous artists, composers, US presidents, motorcycles, guitars, and more! Although I wouldn't buy these coins (except the Somali motorcycle coins), I see nothing wrong with the concept.

Scott :hi:

Agree :)

Tuvulu is the fourth smallest nation on earth by land area. It is also the third lowest populated country. The maximum elevation is only 15 feet above sea level. The nation is extremely vulnerable to any rise of the oceans. It is interesting that Tuvulu has chosen numismatics as a way of boosting their economy. Give 'em a break.

I do not think we should ever limit the design of any coin . This is a collectible coin , not a circulating coin made for commerce ( although you could technically spend it or sell it for melt....but why?) .

If we were told to only collect one kind of coin.....how many would follow that ?

I like variety and I like different designs . If they can put a Ford of Chevy on a coin , why not a Barbie? Remember the motorcycle coins or the guitar coins?

These are not circulating , they were never meant to . They are for collectors that want something that fits their desire ....such as gold bars or silver rounds with themes on them .

I know people that collect barber bottles and even mason jars , but I do not call them stupid for it ....in fact , I even keep an eye out for these when I come across them just for these friends.....and in return , they do the same for me with coins .

A friend of mine collects old 'piggy' banks and coin tins.....sometimes he gets them with old coins and lets me go through the coins for the chance we might discover a rare one .....it is just another way to have a little fun with this . Not everyone in the hobby is a rich money mogul with the only desire to purchase multi-million dollar coins that fall into simple spreadsheet catalogs . Some of us actually do this for the enjoyment of it and know how to keep it seperate from a 'money chore job' .

It is actually a very pretty coin , but my daughter likes roosters ( France) ....too bad she has Barbies still in unopened original boxes that she never wanted to play with , or I might have been tempted to get her one.

I might get one for my 5 year old (thumbs u

Now , she would enjoy it for all the right reasons ! (thumbs u

Of course , her 'pink' toned coin would be as cool as some of her daddy's coins too , as a plus !

I might get one for my 5 year old (thumbs u

Now , she would enjoy it for all the right reasons ! (thumbs u

Of course , her 'pink' toned coin would be as cool as some of her daddy's coins too , as a plus !

Yes and my 15 yar old has quite a few nice graded coins and comics but the little one has none....raw coins yes but nothing in a pretty holder. They are a little pricey at 60+ dollars but I may just get one anyway hm

It has nothing to do with getting girls interested in numismatics, but everything to do with making money. This is not necessarily a bad thing.