• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the date a coin is slabbed be printed on the label?

20 posts in this topic

…a bit like production dates on products, or possibly expiration dates on Cheeze Whizz?

I don't think it is important on the slab but I wish that if you went to NGC cert lookup it would tell you when it was slabbed.

I don't think it is important on the slab but I wish that if you went to NGC cert lookup it would tell you when it was slabbed.

I agree. I wouldn't be that difficult to incorporate that information on the lookup result page.

Great idea! (thumbs u Contact em and see what they say.

It might be nice, but it is contrary to the idea of perfect consistency that the TPGs like to make folks believe.

Of what use would this information be? How would it influence your decision to buy a coin?

I would just like the information for curisoity.

This would not influence my decision to buy or not to buy a coin.

By using Conder's Link history of NGC slabs you can come up with a pretty good idea to when the coin was slabbed.

I'd like to see it for copper due to the 10 year guarantee.

That would be the only issue I can see - You would have to take their word for it that it was OUT OF THE WARRANTY time frame.

Hmmmm...could your copper coins get "warranty service" before the 10-yr, 100,000 mile expiration? Could collectors buy an "extended warranty."

Hmmmm...could your copper coins get "warranty service" before the 10-yr, 100,000 mile expiration? Could collectors buy an "extended warranty."

How about for one full year, if you can't make the payments on the coin, the TPG will buy it back?

it already is ...........well close to it

with conder's excellent book on pcgs and ngc generations; also on both boards and also sales receipts of slabbed coins i can basically figure out within a year orso if not to the actual month and year when the coin was holdered so the point for me is moot

Of what use would this information be? How would it influence your decision to buy a coin?

By using Conder's Link history of NGC slabs you can come up with a pretty good idea to when the coin was slabbed.

Unless the coin was reholdered for some reason.

Unless the coin was reholdered for some reason.

Aside from the issue of a re-holdered coin, there are also the inherent errors in such a reference work as Conder's given the fact that I do not know that the TPGs cooperated fully with the research effort. Therefore, it has been up to Conder's observations and the observations of others who send along the information. This can lead to some time windows not being as accurate as one would like. Lastly, the use of old stock inserts or shells concurrently with newer generation designs leads to overlap.

A coin in the newer edge view holder may have been graded in the late 1980's and recently sent back to be reholdered so the slab design may not help you determine when a coin was actually graded.

Definitely not.

About a quarter century ago ANACS was the leading grading service with their paper certificates. Over time ANACS allowed their grading standards to slip until they reached the point where they had to tighten them again. They made a much publicized announcement that as of date XX that they had tighten up their grading. During this period ANACS printed the date of the grading on the certificate.

The result there was a brief period coins that were graded after date XX sold for full money and those dated before date XX sold for discounted amounts. There are ads in Coin World to this effect. After the dust settled ANACS had destroyed their reputation as a grading service and that opened the door for PCGS and NGC. It should also be mentioned that PCGS and NGC also settled the issue of switching coins with certificates by placing coins in slabs.

We already have some idea of when a coin was slabbed from the style of the holder. For example some collectors think that green label PCGS holders and “fatty” NGC holders contain more conservatively graded coins. This opinion has some legitimacy, but it is FAR from an iron clad rule. There are over graded coins in both of these holders.

Bottom line, I can’t see to dating certification holders for collectors who hold their coins for long periods of time.