• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade....Walking Liberty Half. **Grade Revealed**

18 posts in this topic

Just came in the mail today. It is graded with an Anacs photo certificate from 1982.

1943SO.jpg1943SR.jpg

MS65/63. I think the coin is accurately graded and would probably be a 64 today.

!BQcuqPQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmZ!24BJ48nTuk(g~~_1.JPG

My vote is MS-64 PQ.

If it were not for the light marks above "In God we trust" on the right obverse field, it would grade MS-66. Some people might discount those and call the coin an MS-65 any way. At any rate it's better than many of the MS-65 graded coins I've seen in slabs.

MS64/65 due to the disturbances on the thigh and leg. No shortage of luster is there?

Those marks may have been on the planchet before the coin was struck and were not flattened by the dies. The one flaw in the Walking Liberty design was that that the relief of that part of the coin was a bit too high. It caused a loss of detail in that area on some pieces and also resulted in less than perfect feather detail on the eagle in the corresponding area of the reverse.

I love these coins but don’t currently collect them. The surfaces looked nice and smooth to my eyes, and this coin really shines so I gave it MS 66 . Although on second look I do see a decent size bag mark on the Eagles right leg.

One more factor that will keep this coin from making MS-66 is that it appears to have been dipped. Dipped coins almost never get into high grade holders beyond MS-65.Only pieces that appear to have their original skin that grades like that for the most part.

MS64/65 due to the disturbances on the thigh and leg. No shortage of luster is there?

Those marks may have been on the planchet before the coin was struck and were not flattened by the dies. The one flaw in the Walking Liberty design was that that the relief of that part of the coin was a bit too high. It caused a loss of detail in that area on some pieces and also resulted in less than perfect feather detail on the eagle in the corresponding area of the reverse.

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure my tiny head is going to be able to store all this knowledge I've been trying to absorb. ????

Appears to be a great strike for an "S". At first glance I was thinking maybe a 66 but I think the gouge on the reverse eagle leg and a few bag marks on the obverse (sun and above IGWT) make it a 65 - hopefully not less. Really a nice looking coin you have there.

Appears to be a great strike for an "S". At first glance I was thinking maybe a 66 but I think the gouge on the reverse eagle leg and a few bag marks on the obverse (sun and above IGWT) make it a 65 - hopefully not less. Really a nice looking coin you have there.

I think that gouge will keep it at the MS64 level. If the rest of the coin was flawless, I could see it getting an MS65. As it is, the rest of the coin is MS65 (maybe 66) but that gouge will definitely hurt the overall grade. It is still a very pretty coin.

I really, really admire your pursuit of these ANACS photocerts! Cool angle on the hobby, and you sure are getting some nice coins.

Thanks for the kind words James.