• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

** I am an *spoon* ** Already Replace a coin in My New Proof Set

12 posts in this topic

Hey, you said you like the cameos......there's no doubt that trime has more of that than the other.

What fun would coins be if we couldn't 'play' with them ?

That's a killer set , by the way.....

Paul

Three-cent nickels in proof are a terribly underrated series. The mintages are ridiculously low for some issues, yet they are almost all priced the same, and it is one of the few 19th century series (actually, about the only one) for which CAMs are available for every issue with any frequency. Plus, the nickel material is so durable that many gems have survived. I have very often thought of working on a set, since it is moderately sized at only 26 issues, and there are only two keys, neither of which has been price-speculated out of sight.

I know this thread is about your gorgeous 1886 proof set, but it has gotten me to thinking about this proof series hm ...

Three-cent nickels in proof are a terribly underrated series. The mintages are ridiculously low for some issues, yet they are almost all priced the same.....
James, less than half of them are priced the same/as common dates. That sure doesn't equate with "they are almost all priced the same". ;)

Mike, if you really want cameos, I'd hold off on that coin. I really don't think you'll be pleased with it when or if it comes. It really doesn't look that impressive, has quite a bit of shine on the obverse and the reverse has minimal contrast. I know there are better out there for you. Don't be in a rush, the coins will come when the time is right.

sam im going to have to hope im right. you are the cam man, but that looks nice. i think the wreath shows pleanty of contrast but the III is a little lighter :)

this is me learning and semi guessing :)

Three-cent nickels in proof are a terribly underrated series. The mintages are ridiculously low for some issues, yet they are almost all priced the same.....
James, less than half of them are priced the same/as common dates. That sure doesn't equate with "they are almost all priced the same". ;)

Here is what I am seeing on greysheet, and I would contend that for my target grade range, these prices are similar enough for me to call them "priced the same" (after some retail is padded in). But more importantly, I think that most would agree that these are in a very reasonable value range for high grade 19th century proof coins!

junk7983.jpg

I agree that the prices are reasonable for a 19th century US coin in that grade and at these prices, I believe they are about the same or even lower than 20 years ago.

But they are not hard to find and the mintages are not particularly low either. Most dates have a proof mintage of over 1,000 and even the proof only issues like the 1877 have 510. And when I checked on Heritage, it lists the 1877 as having been sold 183 times. That means that on average it came up for sale about once per month since the inception of their archives and this is just from this one source. That should be plenty of supply to enable the prospective buyer the ability find and buy one with little difficulty.