• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best hobby "mag"

15 posts in this topic

My subscription to Numismastic News is almost up and I was wondering which is the best hobby mag or newspaper is the best? Should I resuscrib or try another one? I havent read any of the others so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I like NN. They have more articles than Coin World (which I think sucks). The other mags (magazine format) are so-so. A little behind the times in the info they provide.

Aside from the magazines, you can also subscribe to the specialty publications, like the John Reich Journal or the Gobrecht Journal if you're into Bust or Seated coinage.

It requires that you join their societies, and the cost of membership includes their journals (which is usually 2 or 3 issues a year).

EVP

I'd vote for COINage as a general monthly hobby publication. It contains some articles for new collectors and some others by authors like Tom DeLory and R. W. Julian to appeal to advanced collectors. Do yourself a favor though and turn the page when you come to the ads for coins. cool.gif

In contrast to some others, I would recommend that series collectors need to subscribe to Coin World. Yes, some of the lead articles, like series about all toned silver coins were "corroded" and destined to become a lump of coal, really frosted me mad.gif , but by in large it is worth while.

The only ``generic'' hobby mags I get are CW and The Numismatist. I've read COINage, NN, et al, but didn't find as content rich. I also don't care for The Numismatist.

CW seems most interesting to me, even if -- as BJ said -- some of the articles seem a bit off to me.

EVP

I prefer CW - but I read one or two of the others as well. I think the best way to glean as much knowledge as you can - which is the reason for doing so isn't it ? - is to read as much as you can.

One mag. That I would stay away from is COINS. If You read a years worth of issues youve read about what is in it for about five years.

A lille of new infomation about what is happening now but it seems they repeat storys over and over. CHRIS

Thanks for the info, I think I will continue NN, Also when I first subscribed to NN I also got "COINS" for free. Unless they give me "COINS" free again I will not purchase it. Thanks again, Ken