• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoo-Hoo!!! Kinda' sorta' finished my toner Franklin set. 1960-D.

13 posts in this topic

Well, it's been a LONG time coming. I've been collecting MS Franklins since about 1988 (with about a 12 year hiatus in there from ~'91-'03). In 2003 I decided to collect the Franklin 1948-58 series (all the dates that were in cardboard mint set holders) in toned MS65 or better grade. Around 2005 I decided to expand it to the full 1948-63 series. Since then I've been slowly plugging along. Regarding the set I put together, FBL is nice, but not necessary. Also, I've got a variety of coins that DON'T have the FBL designation that I think are clearly FBL, and others, graded by both NGC/PCGS, that ARE graded FBL that IMO are NOT.

As per norm with most series the 80/20 rule applied... it took 20% of the time to find 80% of the date/mm, and 80% of the time to find 20% of the date/mm. Of course, during this interval it was possible to upgrade many of the more common date/mm. Needless to say, I learned a lot about Franklins, particularly with regard to the whole AT/NT issue. While there are a WHOLE bunch of toned Franklins out there, most of them are butt ugly. Finding nice ones was an enjoyable pastime.

The last coin I needed to complete my 35 piece set was the 1960-D. That is quite a common date in white, but trying to find a nicely toned '60-D is a whole 'nother ball of wax. As a matter of fact, the reason I've mentioned "kinda' sorta' " in the title of the thread is that I have yet to find one in MS65 or better. HOWEVER, I just bought a mind-boggling one in NGC MS64 that is solid to PQ for the grade and could certainly be in a 65 holder. What is mind-boggling about it is the color. The images below, done by Shane Canup (the original owner), are nice as regards the general color of the coin. However they don't begin to show the pearlescent iridescence of the colors. Instead of the somewhat flat/matte colors you see here, the colors (at the right viewing angles) really flash. Also, what may appear as brown on the reverse is generally red at the right angle. It may be that I'll never find a MS65 with better toning, but I'm perfectly happy to call this one the "last" piece for my set.

As regards the set itself, when all of the coins are imaged I will post a link on the boards for you to see it. Also, there are ~6 to 8 coins I'd like to eventually upgrade either toning wise, technically or both.

Anyhow, without any further ado, here is the "Last" coin for the set.

Franklin60D.jpg

Franklin60Drev.jpg

Anyhow, without any further ado, here is the "Last" coin for the set!!

Some how I don't believe you......I bet you post another franklin toner in the next 3 months lol

Great Pickup (thumbs u

Skyman, I have to say that your post is one of the more informative that I've seen in awhile, since my knowledge of toned Franklin half-dollars is sketchy at best. Thanks for a good education, and for sharing your wonderful achievement with is!