• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you think about this?

12 posts in this topic

I was looking at some silver coins recently online (because I'm always looking for new patterns) and I noticed several Russian coins that 1 seller in particular had on for sale. The seller claims to be out of New York. His coins are priced mostly in the $50 to $120 range. That's not in itself terrible, but he charges $20 for FIRST CLASS mail. I sent him an email about this (because I think it's an outrage). I said:

"Why do you want $20 to ship a 1 ounce coin by first class mail? How do you package the coins? Also, have they been kept clean and free of damaging marks and scratches? How would you caracterize the overall condition of each coin?"

This is the response I got back:

"What your price for departure. All my coins in perfect tune."

eh.... What the heck does that mean? I would ask him, but I don't think the answer would help much...

Even though the guy has 100% positive feedback, I worry that I might be happier in the long run if I don't deal with him at all.

Your thoughts?

From his text, he sounds Canadian. Remember, they only have 3 teams in the playoffs this year, so he's probably disturbed. That's my first guess. Other than that, I'd say find another item.

yes block him and dont ever contact him ever again or look at any of his items for sale and do not even think about him ever again

not even in your dreams

you will be mucho better off

I would like to know what kind of Russian patterns can be bought for that kind of money. They must be modern issues with weak demand. Imperial Russian coins are expensive by world coin standards (some are expensive period).

There are some sellers that use high s&h charges and expect lower bids on thier items. It saves on paypal fees. Don't know if this is the case, but I have seen it in the past.

My take is he doesn't speak English and is using an online translator. These tools usually put out wacky translations. I think he is asking you what you want to pay for shipping and he is telling you his coins are in good shape.

I would like to know what kind of Russian patterns can be bought for that kind of money. They must be modern issues with weak demand. Imperial Russian coins are expensive by world coin standards (some are expensive period).

He's not looking for Pattern coins, just new designs for his collection.

He's not looking for Pattern coins, just new designs for his collection.

Quite right. That was sloppy wording on my part. They are modern issues though.

I evaluate the deal with the allocated shipping cost added. If I am getting a good deal I don't care about shipping cost. The seller may be trying to offset ebay fees but see the warning below.

Yes $20 shipping cost seems high but you don't mention or give an analysis of total cost vs catalog value or bid. Is tihis an ebay item or what? You don't give enough data for me to really evaluate this.

A word of warning: If the shipping cost is high it may be a problem coin and the seller wants to discourage a return. This can be especially true with items where just one side is pictured. I avoid bidding on items where only one side is pictured.