• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal in hot water

3 posts in this topic

This stuff isn't new and it has been going on for quite some time. Paypal wants you to forget that you have rights when you use a credit card and instead buy their overpriced insurance in case something goes wrong with the transaction.

I have read (MSNBC?) that you should only use a Visa/MC on their site because the Discover and/or Amex agreement with PayPal is different and if you get screwed you cannot do a chargeback.

The simple thing is to not keep money in your account. They can't take what isn't there. My account usually has very little in it. I'll usually keep enough to do a few minor purchases like gas and lunch

I had one deal go bad. I had paid with PayPal before they were purchased by eBay. PayPal told me to file fraud with eBay and collect from them. eBay told me to go after PayPal and collect from them. A useless circle. They give you 30 days to get your fraud complaints in. After a few days of jerking I contacted the credit card company and reversed the charges. A couple of weeks later I had the money back in my PayPal account. If you do this for a large amount of do it often, I have heard they will yank your account.

I have found their customer service to be OK. When I have a problem with my account they are always very fast to address the issue. I have one fo their debit Visa/MC cards and maybe 2 years ago I used it to purchase gas one day. That was a type of purchase I had never made before with their card. They called to check to make sure it was OK. The call was on my answering machine when I got home and the gas station is literally a few blocks from home. Just a couple of days ago they called to check out two purchases I made since they were big money items. The calls came a few hours after the purchases. Overall, they seem quick at stopping fraud with their chargecards.