• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Trip to Dahlonega...pics inside!!!

28 posts in this topic

This weekend I went up to Georgia for my Dad's wedding in Helen and once I realized that Helen was only about 15 miles from Dahlonega I immediately set up plans to make a quick visit. On Easter Sunday I checkout out of my Hotel in Gainesville, GA and made a beeline for Dahlonega to grab some breakfast and see the sites. The town is very small and you will find the Dahlonega Gold Museum right in the heart of downtown....

GeorgiaTrip068.jpg

GeorgiaTrip067.jpg

GeorgiaTrip010.jpg

GeorgiaTrip011.jpg

GeorgiaTrip009.jpg

The weather was beautiful and the museum had a lot of interesting artifacts and the short movie they showed on the history of the Georgia Gold Rush was quite interesting. :applause:

Here are some shots of inside:

GeorgiaTrip015.jpg

GeorgiaTrip016.jpg

GeorgiaTrip017.jpg

GeorgiaTrip023.jpg

GeorgiaTrip020.jpg

GeorgiaTrip021.jpg

GeorgiaTrip022.jpg

GeorgiaTrip027.jpg

GeorgiaTrip024.jpg

GeorgiaTrip025.jpg

GeorgiaTrip026.jpg

GeorgiaTrip029.jpg

GeorgiaTrip030.jpg

GeorgiaTrip031.jpg

GeorgiaTrip032.jpg

GeorgiaTrip033.jpg

GeorgiaTrip034.jpg

GeorgiaTrip035.jpg

GeorgiaTrip036.jpg

GeorgiaTrip037.jpg

GeorgiaTrip051.jpg

GeorgiaTrip038.jpg

GeorgiaTrip040.jpg

GeorgiaTrip042.jpg

GeorgiaTrip043.jpg

GeorgiaTrip044.jpg

GeorgiaTrip045.jpg

GeorgiaTrip046.jpg

GeorgiaTrip047.jpg

GeorgiaTrip048.jpg

GeorgiaTrip049.jpg

GeorgiaTrip053.jpg

GeorgiaTrip054.jpg

GeorgiaTrip055.jpg

GeorgiaTrip056.jpg

GeorgiaTrip057.jpg

GeorgiaTrip058.jpg

GeorgiaTrip059.jpg

GeorgiaTrip060.jpg

GeorgiaTrip061.jpg

GeorgiaTrip062.jpg

GeorgiaTrip063.jpg

GeorgiaTrip064.jpg

GeorgiaTrip066.jpg

and once we viewed the museum we got the fever to go to the Crisson Gold Mine and do some panning for gold and gemstones...... MDDude.gif

GeorgiaTrip082.jpg

GeorgiaTrip079.jpg

GeorgiaTrip080.jpg

GeorgiaTrip076.jpg

GeorgiaTrip070.jpg

GeorgiaTrip071.jpg

GeorgiaTrip072.jpg

GeorgiaTrip073.jpg

Considering it wasn't a vacation per say, we did manage to squeeze in a few activities before having to head back to Orlando. I got a souvenir coin from the Crisson Mine that I will add to this post when I get home and me and the kids found a lot of nice gemstones though no gold. :Funny;

That looks like a lot of fun, and a nice museum. My dad goes gold panning all the time, goes out mostly in the North Carolina mountains and scoops up tons of dirt from old riverbeds near old mines. He's found quite a bit of gold, actually.

Cool post, Shane! I've always been curious about the place. It was even worth the wait on dial up although the last pictures were just a black rectangle.

The original mint building is long gone....the museum in the former courthouse is nice!

Dahlonega is a fun place to visit for part of a day. My wife's a big fan of the Corkscrew Cafe just off the square. I actually get up there several times a year since my Mom has a cabin near Helen.

My one regret about the Dahlonega Gold Museum is that the coins are way too far back in their case to see as clearly as a collector would like to see them. The need to rethink that.

The original mint building is long gone....the museum in the former courthouse is nice!

Not too long, isn't the university using the original foundation? ;)

Thanks Krypto for sharing the photo's and the edits.

A friend had visited Dahlonega a year or two and brought me back a vial of gold leaf. Still have it laying around somewhere. Also while at the 2008 FUN Show they had an indoor panning operation that you could try your hand at. I did manage to get a couple of specs but not enough to retire on. Still the mystic of hunting for buried treasure still commands my attention from time to time. My favorate video is still the Treasure of Sierra Madre. Then, there are the diamond fields in Arkansas?

Anybody ready to strike it rich?

And congrats to your dad, Shane. How was the wedding?

Short but good....he and his new bride seemed very happy and I told her dad who is in his mid 80's that I thought my dad and his daughter were too young to get married lol I then said you know you can't tell kids nothin these days and he laughed and said we are all kids to him :grin:

Great Great post Shane. I will probably never make it there also. You provided some great pics for those who can't. I'll bet that pocket watch was made of gold also. Thanks for sharing with us Shane!!

Btw, those are some cool finds there Relic and congrats on your 1000th post also.