• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Attending the ANA Summer Seminar

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'll be spending my summer vacation this year in Boulder Colorado attending the first sesssion of the ANA's "Grading US Coins" seminar and just received my confirmation letter today! Thus far people's resposes to my vacation plans have been nothing but strange looks (except from my wife, bless her heart) but it's the first vacation I'm really looking forward to since 1998. I thought folks on a coin forum would be more understanding of my excitement.

I'm more or less at a cross roads in my collecting career: do I want to just continue fooling aroubnd and having fun or do I really want to learn how to do it well? A formal coarse seemed a good way to help decide.

Has anyone else attened in the past or thinking of attending this year? I'd love to hear any stories of what you thought of the class.

-JamminJ

Not to put him on the spot, but one of our forum members taught the class before. Maybe he'll chime in with some details.

I talked to him about it maybe a year ago and I've considered going. I believe he said they focused more on grading mint state coins.

Hi Greg,

I'm surpised you've considred going, you're likely the most knowledgeable coin collector I know. I guess there's always room to learn more!

I'd like to get better at detecting problem coins but that seems to be more the focus of the Advanced Grading course. If I like this year perhaps that one will be on next year's agenda.

-JamminJ

I'm not sure what each course covers. I was considering one that focused on circulated coins. I thought it might be nice to get a quick refresher course on grading them. So much of my focus is on mint state coins and mainly higher grade mint state that grading of circ coins can get a little rusty.

I'd like to brush up on knowing why a coin is counterfeit. I'm very good at spotting counterfeit coins, yet it is hard for me to put into words the reason why I believe it is a counterfeit. Usually just a gut feeling because something doesn't look or feel right. I'd like to be able to explain in detail the exact reasons why it is a counterfeit and how it was produced.

JamminJ,

Congrats. I'm sure you will have the time of your life. That's something I've always wanted to do. Where I live I don't get the opportunity to see many different coins in different grades. I would really welcome the experience.

Have a great time.

I'd like to brush up on knowing why a coin is counterfeit. I'm very good at spotting counterfeit coins, yet it is hard for me to put into words the reason why I believe it is a counterfeit. Usually just a gut feeling because something doesn't look or feel right. I'd like to be able to explain in detail the exact reasons why it is a counterfeit and how it was produced.

Apparenbtly they offer one right up Greg's alley :

# Detection of Counterfeit and Altered Coins **

Gain confidence in your counterfeit detection skills! Learn the secret diagnostics of genuine and counterfeit coins, how counterfeits are produced and how to identify them. Test your newly acquired skills on nearly 400 unmarked genuine, counterfeit and altered coins.

Also included:

Types of counterfeit dies and castings

Date and mintmark alterations

Distinctions between genuine and counterfeit coins

Specific gravity testing, with demonstrations

Counterfeit coin production and methodology

Use of microscopes and other equipment

Instructors: Mary Sauvain and Tom DeLorey, professional numismatists and former ANA Certification Service authenticators.

Borrowed from the ANA website.

-JamminJ

If they held the seminar in November (when few people are buying cars), I'd consider going. But in the middle of the sales season?! Fugeddabouddit.

Bring back some nice samples of high-grade rare coins for me, JamminJ!

Congrats. I'm sure you will have the time of your life. That's something I've always wanted to do. Where I live I don't get the opportunity to see many different coins in different grades. I would really welcome the experience.

Have a great time.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm very much looking forward to this year's vacation!grin.gif

I'm working on my scholarship application for the same class right now...

Good luck with your application.893crossfingers-thumb.gif I hope its successful and I look forward to meeting you there. Didn't you attend last year? Must be movin' on up to the deluxe grading class in the sky for this year.

However, you won't be in Boulder... it's Colorado Springs

My mistake, a few years back I went to a conference in Colorado Springs but had to fly through Boulder and rent a car which explains my confusion.

-JamminJ