• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Here Own a First Edition RED BOOK?

7 posts in this topic

I've always thought it would be cool to own a working copy of this book. Nothing fancy and in a condition I'd be afraid to actually open and read.

Does anyone know of a good source for one of these? I check eBay but so far, no real luck.

Try a rare book dealer. I believe they sell for several hundred dollars.

I do have a leather bound and signed copy of the first Cherrypicker's Guide lying around here somewhere.

Hey, you lucky dog! I'd be afraid to handle it if it was Mint as Greg pointed out, these can be pricey. I was hoping a used copy, even one with pencil marking in it and a worn cover would go for about $150.00 or so.

Oh well. I'll keep checking eBay.

I did ask the Rare Coin Book Dealer who sets up at Long Beach but got the impression it was beneath him to handle these books.

I too have a complete year set of Red Books. There are actually two editions of the First edition. The difference is in a footnote concerning the 1903-O silver dollar. Currently a reading copy with a good strong binding will cost you $225 or so.

The First Edition is not the rarest. I believe that the Fifth Edition is the hardest one to find.

Thanks Bill. On a visit to the Carlsbad Coin Shop today I noted my frustration and was handed a 1955 (8th Edition) copy. $4.

Tough to beat that! (I also got a chance to pick up two of the owner's coins from his "A" box, so all in all, a great coin day!)