• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1828 Large cent

9 posts in this topic

I just bought this 1828 large cent, These are the best pictures that I could take before the batteries in the camera died.

I really liked this coin for its apparent originality. Even though its probably not worth it I would like to see it in a slab, It will be a free submission. What grade do you guys think it will get? Do you guys see anything that will keep it from slabbing?

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

It's a nice looking old Cent. I'm not an expert in these but I'm seeing alot of what looks like verdigris which might BB the coin as environmental damage.

It's a nice looking old Cent. I'm not an expert in these but I'm seeing alot of what looks like verdigris which might BB the coin as environmental damage.

A coin can have minor Verdigris and still be certified.

I would grade this coin Fine-12. EAC would call it a VG.

As to slabbing, I would be the last one to ask becuase I've gotten too many body bags on nice early copper. I would think that it would grade, but I would ask, "Why bother and for what purpose?" Serious copper collectors like their coins raw, and this looks like a nice piece for a circualted date or variety set.

i really like this coin and has a great original look to me with above average eye appeal and honest wear

myself i grade it vg ever so close to almost fine 11+

so for me if you get vg10 you will get robbed by the services

if it comes back fine-12 not a problem with me ikn the least i would buy this coin in a fine 12 holder anyday of the week and be happy with it as with these old coppers it is so much more than just the details grade

the coin has good ++ eye appeal a decent even wear pattern and good old time crust overall with only one number on a holder it is hard to do this as these early cents really need to be evaulated but again i have no problems with it cOMING BACK FINE 12 WHICH I THINK IT WILL MOST CERTAINLY DO but if not then you got to re submit thats why the ultimate thing i love to find now with a coin i love is that it is already slabbed the correct grade with alittle green bean on it cac sticker and with flyers and indian cents the eagle eye photo seal and green bean :cloud9: pcgs holdered :luhv:

I thought the coin graded VG also, Michael, until I compared it with the photos in the ANA grading guide. The VG coin in that book is pretty nasty. You would not like it. But when I looked at the one in Good, I came to the conclusion that the VG was okay and this one rated the Fine-12 grade.

i agree with you bill i looked at many examples today in holders graded vg and this coin was heads and tails better

so this coin is a decent fine

Had a similar looking piece (Booby Head) returned in the beloved BB with the marking, "Environmental Damage". I sure have come to HATE that term. In my very humble opinion, I'd leave her slabless and use the plastic for something else.