• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As promised Collys first days detecting with his Garrett

16 posts in this topic

Hi all as i promised hear is fellow board member colly from Kent's first day out with the garrett 1500 I tested out on one of my Northumbrian fields in my last detecting post http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3041540&fpart=1 Hear is the link for those who missed it and can be bothered to look at it .. :D

Well colly managed to get some time of work and drove "up north" (5hours i think :insane: )

And after a mammoth beer session at mine i managed to raise him mid morning :roflmao: I have not seen anyone that rough for a while :sick: (shame i had no batteries for the camera :grin:

So off we headed to a farm to put some poison down for some rats (got to keep the locals happy) then off to a field were quite a number of coins have come from as colly was desperate to find his first coin !

Hear he is all set up and raring to go !!! well this is really how he was feeling on the inside .. Never drink with me lol

100_0734.jpg100_0734-1.jpg

collys firs find was not the wished for coin but give him a very good signal !!

100_0736.jpg

I was sort of feeling guilty (not much though !) as i was the first to hit a coin, a George V half penny But.. shortly after a nice Bong Bong came from his detector and his virginity was popped !! with a 1926 (i think) Penny

100_0737.jpg

To say he was happy could be an understatement .. so i will let this picture say it all .. lol

100_0737-1.jpg

We found a little hot spot on the field and dug quite a few bits up and both added some more coins to the finds pouch but as colly was digging his way to Australia with some of his holes (don't worry you will get better soon !! lol )

100_0735.gif

I snuck off and hit a nice silver range signal :headbang:

100_0739.jpg

And yes it was as my 1250 predicted a nice little bit of silver .. colly did not seem as pleased as me ? cannot work out why ! (shrug)

100_0738.jpg

Once i removed it from the clod it turned out to be a 1920 silver 3d in very nice condition ..

100_0740.jpg

After we had cleaned the little patch out we moved over the road to a field i had just acquired and has never been detected on

100_0744.jpg

as we walked over it there was bearly a signal and changed from the normal thick Northumbrian clay to what i can only described as a glacial deposit as we got to the top of the hill ?

Then i saw this right on top of the ground .. boy did my hart skip a beat !!! it looked like a celtic sater C100 ad !!!! and just there to be picked up !!

100_0741.jpg

Before i picked it up i called colly over to saver the moment and to put his finger into the shot to show the size

100_0742.jpg

Then i picked it up and turned it over expecting to see a horse or something :censored: a thick silver button .. well you cannot win them all eh!

100_0743.jpg

Distraught we moved on to the bottom of the field (which is now called collys corner) and i hit a musket ball closely followed buy on for colly .. this spot is right next to a road so were they from a highway mans pistol robbing some poor traveler .. guess we will never know but buy the end of the search we had added a few more to the bag ..

Colly had the next interesting find of a lead bag seal from a phosphorus works .. he was well chuft

100_0746.jpg

100_0747.jpg

It was my turn next and found this strange item

100_0749.jpg

which turned out to be a costume jewelry earring ?? why it was there in the field i dare not hazard a guess !!!

Unfortunately it was time for colly to head back to Kent so we plodded back to the car and then the find of the day :acclaim: and it fell to me :acclaim: and is now at the museum of antiquity in Newcastle being recorded and positively identified and a Late Neolithic flint scraper !!! Gosh i do love to find this early stuff up hear in Northumberland .. and it is the 7th different field i have found on this farm showing our early ancestors were working and living on !! all unrecorded before

100_0753.jpg

100_0754.jpg

Well that was our day out hoped you liked it

and hear is a picture of my days uncleaned finds as for some reason the picture of collys finds did not take !! huffy camera !!!

100_0750.jpg

all the best THE DAFT ENGLISHMAN :devil:

I knew you were up to something!!!!! YOU !! Anyway besides the fictional pictures which did not show the true size of my even bigger bulging muscles. Ha Ha! I thought that was a very good post and a good follow on from the original garrett 1500 post. I would like to ad I did find my first silver coin in kent, an 1869 silver shilling in fine condition which I found at 5.30am before work. I realy did struggle to tear my self away from that field to go to work..Grrrrrr.

Anyway thanks for a great day out, cant wait until the next which I think might be easter.

P.S. did I realy look the same colour that I felt?

My fellow conger club member.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Dooly. Hang in there Colly, he tells the same stories on everybody he knows. I truly look forward to your tales of the Northumberland fields of silver, coppers and flints. Looking forward to your next outing.

Jim

You know, I was still a little huffy about those two past wars we had with England :devil:

But I think that I'm over it, now. Thanks to Ambassador Dooly. :grin:

I love your posts! They're nothing like the boring Cliff Mishler traveling stories in Coin World. Maybe you should proof read his articles and put a little of your humor into the stories, then every body would love them!

:acclaim:

:news: [font:Comic Sans MS] Kent, England [/font]

Kryptonite coin found at a undisclosed location by

novice detectorist Colly. The first of it's kind reportedly

dropped by a US collector while visiting England

recently. The superhero from the US has offered to swap

his new Harley Davidson motorcycle for the coin.

A professional coin and relic hunter who

accompanied Colly to the location has

vowed to cut the coil off of Colly's new Garrett machine.

To which Colly replied "You must still be snookered you bloke"

colly-1.jpg [

P.S. did I really look the same colour that I felt?

My fellow conger club member.

Haha lol

ps mine is bigger than yours .. the conger that is (thumbs u

100_0739.jpg
Is this Dooly or 007?

layout_03.jpg

You think .. I am that soft !!!

if he tries to detect on my land .. he will get his kicked .. to his living daylights lol