• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy eBay Auction -- Fake 1799 Cent and A Goat's Foot

20 posts in this topic

Gecko from ATS posted a link to this suspicious auction.

This auction is currently at $5,800 with a few hours remaining. However, the 1799 cent appears to be a cheap electro. The Flowing Hair half dime also seems suspicious. And what is that furry foot thing? Looks like a old goat's leg or something.

Link to furry foot and funny 1799 cent

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news.... but..... the Goat's foot is fake as well! :(;)
You mean it's actually a sheep's foot?!

$5808.00 with 20 min left.bugsbunny_.gifHope i am not too Latewile_.jpg36_11_6.gif

"You can't cheat an honest man." - W.C. Fields

Or.... if something seems too good to be true, then it is.

The seller knew these were bad, or would have taken many more steps to realize the "fortune" the was just given away.

100 % Scam written all over this auction. Some sucker paid $ 6000 !!

On the other hand, some greedy buyer thinks he just ripped $50000 worth of coins from some sucker seller who didn't know what he had. Who is more guilty of a scam?

You cannot cheat an honest man--at least not one of sound mind.

100 % Scam written all over this auction. Some sucker paid $ 6000 !!

On the other hand, some greedy buyer thinks he just ripped $50000 worth of coins from some sucker seller who didn't know what he had. Who is more guilty of a scam?

You cannot cheat an honest man--at least not one of sound mind.

I don't think that this buyer was looking at any type of scam when the seller is posting questions and info letting him and everyone else know that he could possibly have some very expensive coins in his auction.

So if the buyer takes these coins to his local coin shop and they tell him that they are fake, can't he file a dispute with paypal saying these coins are counterfit or not as described and get his money back?

There is something very wrong here. I have had some “hostile” e-mail correspondence with this seller. The seller was told that the 1799 is worth about 50 K by various people.

His response to me was that it was their opinion, not fact, and he does not trust sending these coins to anyone for certification. I said knowing that one of these coins is real is worth 50 K , you selling the lot at $ 6000 looks very suspicious. He claims ignorance about coins but when told what he might have he ignores the information.

I did a toolhaus on the guy and came up with this :

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=cattaragus+&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

He went on to call me names and some of the other typical things people do when they are trying to hide something.