• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone use a scanner to scan coins!!

24 posts in this topic

Do you use your scanner to scan coins? If so what kind?

I want a good scanner to scan NGC and PCGS graded coins!!

I am looking for a good scanner to get some quality images of my slabs!!

PS I suck at taking picture and don't want to fork out big bucks to buy a new camera!! :insane:

I know several folks that do...including lablover on these forums......while I prefer a digital camera by a wide margain because of the fine details they capture....a good scanner can substitute in a pinch. (thumbs u

I believe there are scanners called photo scanners which would be well suited but I don't know the brand?

I've seen some scanners do decently well at scanning coins (an old cheapo Epson used to work fairly well) and I've seen scanners that simply could not bring a slabbed coin into focus. I don't know many specific models that are good though.

Schatsy---- Before my wife got the digital camera, we used a Microtek Scan Maker----4850

You can view these pictures on some of the "early" year Walkers on my Registry set----Doc's Walkers---if you care to look.

I always thought that it took pretty good pictures---except it was tough to get good color. But the details were more than adequate IMHO.

The later Walkers from 1936 to 1947 are all digital pictures. I've often thought of redoing the "early" Walkers with the digital---but liked the scanner pictures well enough that I have never had my wife take different photos of the earlier coins. Bob [ supertooth]

I have a spare scanner I don't use if you are interested in it. I'm at work right now but I believe it's a visioneer... 9300? Not sure the model number. But if you are interested in it, I'll send it to you and you can have it for the shipping price. I would estimate $15 to $20? PM me if you are interested. I think I have an 8800 as well that I've seen many people use with great success, but I don't have the software to go with it. It does coins better than the newer scanner. For some reason, when I downloaded the software it never got the onetusb.dll... or something to that affect. Either one or both you can have.

hp scanjet2300c is by far the best i have owned. i do have a newer hp scanner but it doesnt do slabs well. i went and bought 2 more 2300c so if mine which has worked for like 7-10yrs breaks down i have another.

I own a Lexmark x7350. I experimented with a PCGS, NGC, and a ICG slab. None really turned out great. The NGC looked the best of all 3 but the other 2 wouldn't focus. I don't recommend this one.

Thanks for the info guys!!

I would just like a nice scanner so I could get good picture of the front and the back without a bunch of glare from lights!!

I spend so much time trying to get a good picture with the camera!! lol

I've seen some scanners do decently well at scanning coins (an old cheapo Epson used to work fairly well) and I've seen scanners that simply could not bring a slabbed coin into focus. I don't know many specific models that are good though.

I have noticed that your pictures are alot better!! Did you buy a new camera?

Scanners have no control for lighting or focus, and many suffer from color registration problems when used at high resolution. A camera with macro lens will commonly produce much better photos.

I have noticed that your pictures are alot better!! Did you buy a new camera?

Well thank you. It's still a bit "hit-&-miss" but I'm learning by inches.

I use what I consider a fairly good camera. It's a Kodak Z610 6.1MP camera with a 10x Optical Zoom. It doesn't have a macro mode though so that's always been a source of frustration with my coin photos. The camera is 3 years old though so it pre-dates my coin collecting by a year (if not for that, I would have bought one with a Macro mode). My pictures have been improving as a result of many attempts and trying many things. I learn something every time I try and sometimes I use the computer to "help" the picture slightly (adjust white balance and brightness a bit if necessary). My step-father worked in media and focused on photography for many years. He continues to help me and offer advice. If I can learn how to use it I may try using his new 10.0MP 20x optical zoom Cannon that does have a macro mode. I think that could make some VERY nice pictures. hm

I use a Microtek Scanmaker V6 . This scanner is probably 6 years old.

It picks up the details quite well but often times the color is off. I scan at 600 DPI and then Photoshop the results to clean the picture up .

i have an epson v500 photo... works well i think. used it to scan most of my silver eagle images. The v200 is much cheaper and has the same resolution I believe, just a few less functions.

This has been discussed here before a few times.

Scanning coins

The main point is that there are different technologies used in scanners. Some are designed just to scan documents and these have very low depth of field. Others are made with more depth of field and are sometimes called 3D scanners. That is what you want for scanning slabs since the coin will not be flat on the scan bed. Most "all-in-one" type systems use the document type scanner and don't do coins well.

Most any modern scanner that uses CCD technology will do a good job on coins (at least as good as a scanner can).

I've got an Epson 1200U Photo and an Epson 1600U Photo, both work pretty well for slabs and raw coins, but I still prefer my old Canon 5.0MP camera for good color balance and depth.