• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1997 or 1992 Penny with tiny holes and pits

16 posts in this topic

I got this penny in some pocket change a while back. It struck my attention because of the numerous pits and holes. It looks like to me something was in the base material when it was hot and gas bubbles popped or seeped out leaving the pits. There isn't any obvious discoloration in my opinion that might suggest a chemical did this. There is a pit on the last part of the date so its hard to tell what year. Anyone ever see this before?

pitted penny.jpg

The obverse side is not nearly as bad as the reverse side. The reverse side has a lot of pitting along the outer edge of the coin. The picture is not the greatest sorry. It doesn't have any signs of road rash or being scraped, crushed, dipped in chemicals, etc. It doesn't have any major scratches and the detail of the penny in terms of the lines in the design etc are still high on both sides.

This is my first post here so I apologize if I am missing something or posting improperly. I read a lot of posts.. but there is so many.. I couldn't read'm all.

Ok.. you can laugh now... where do I post mint damage? Got a link? I'm not new to forums but I am to mint damage.. lol Any particular reason you think its post?

Some of the holes are very tiny in size. There is no crush marks. No notches.. just a bunch of small holes. I have another penny that has holes.. but they are obvious post damage.. elongated.. scrapes etc.. and the penny is highly discolored. Like I said.. this penny is not discolored. Its too bad I don't have a better camera.. you could see better detail if I did..

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome Didz. Post means "after", in which Jaime was refering to this being damaged after it was minted. Hard to say what caused it. Usually gas bubbles will not be large pits like this that I've ever seen. I know they are small but there are dings on it of the same size which looks like someone may have been hitting/shooting it with something. BTW (by the way) looks like a 1992.

Yeah I was joking about the post.. lol. Sorry.

No dings.. No chips.. No gouges. Everything is just tiny holes. Some perfect circles and few larger ones a bit oval. No dinged edges.. The picture makes the edges look dinged. If only I had a better camera.

What gets me.. if it was post, say found on the road and driven over with pits caused by abrasion stones etc I could see it.. but there is no signs of abrasion. There is no signs of someone driving over it etc. It’s as if the metal was contaminated and the contamination from exposure to the environment corroded and left holes. I read an article on zinc pennies doing this but never saw any.

Its funny you mentioned shooting it. If it was shot the holes would be more depressed and not straight in. The coin is not mishaped, warped etc. There would also be some deformation from the impact. I joked about that but the holes are way to small and clean edged and on the reverse.. its obvious its not from shooting it. Its corrosion or something.. If you saw it in person you would understand where I am coming from.

yeah.. I think I will work on getting some better pics. I also just found a couple Kennedy Half dollars that look over pressed. You can see deformation in the clad material like the metal was stretched and a glimpse of the reverse image on the obverse. Almost as if Kennedy and the eagle pressed into each other. Its a 1972. I found two in the same role one more pronounced then the other. I'll try to scan the penny..

Thanks for input. I will work on a better pic. :grin:

The lincoln looks like a high school chemistry experiment - acid or something like that. I once saw an experiment where you leave a penny overnight in a glass of coke and come back and its all eaten away.

I thought the same thing about the soda or acid.. Only thing is.. no discoloration.. and the holes are too random. Its not like a stategic drop or two of acid. Some holes are extremely small... others are larger. Since its on both sides.. I don't know what to think.

I may spend a few bucks and have someone look at it.. if I end up with a holy penny.. oh well. I've ended up with much worse in the past. doh!

Die clash.. is that a pretty common error? I could't believe I got two of the same dates and mints with almost identical errors out of the same roll.. Not a mint fresh roll either. I re-roll of circulated coins.

Thanks for the input and thanks for the Welcome!

Decent die clashes are not that common, and can command fairly high premiums, especially depending on the degree and location of the clash. I'd be very interested to see pics of the half's. As for the cent, it's been altered, likely acid, I've seen many like it as I've gone over thousands of rolls.

I had a dealer look at my coins.. I have a weird penny and a possible error Kennedy. My kennedy has stretch marks or something in the surface and the area around the image of Kennedy is raised. I'm not necessarily looking to cash in on these coins. I just don't want to throw something valuable in the mix with other non valuable coins.

Updated penny pics and here is a couple links to my Kennedy I have two of these from the same roll. Same years one is more defined in terms of marks then the other.

http://www.clanspectre.com/images/10001.JPG

http://www.clanspectre.com/images/10002.JPG

http://www.clanspectre.com/images/10003.JPG

http://www.clanspectre.com/images/10004.JPG

On the last image 10004 is that a double die in the T E S O and is that a die crack by Kennedy's eye in 10003?

Sorry Didz. It is not a die crack next to Kennedy's eye, it is a minor CUD. On the reverse you have some minor strike doubling and overall the coin was struck by exceptionally over-polished dies, and would not be worth over 50¢.

So over polished causes the lines. Didn't know that. Why is the area around the image obvioulsy different? Just curious so I don't bring up pics of redudant situations. Its obvious in hand that its raised and the smooth areas in the pic show it. Hopefully my metal detecting trip with a buddy of mine will turn up some unquestionable material to post.. lol I think I will stick to Gold coins.

Thanks for the input.