• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S Coins FREE-Whaaat!

21 posts in this topic

This posted yesterday ATS--Walter Breen's famous book(which I just bought last month) is now online FREE. There is speculation that it is illegal-glad I bought mine. But for the time being it is online.

Jim

BreenEncyclopedia

Walter Breen's Complete encyclopedia of U. S. and colonial coins.

Type of Work: Text

Registration Number / Date: TX0002327327 / 1988-06-08

Title: Walter Breen’s Complete encyclopedia of U. S. and colonial coins.

Edition: 1st ed.

Imprint: New York : Doubleday, c1988.

Description: 754 p.

Copyright Claimant: F. C. I. Press, Inc.

Date of Creation: 1987

Date of Publication: 1988-06-06

Other Title: Complete encyclopedia of U. S. and colonial coins

Names: Breen, Walter H.

F.C.I. Press, Inc.

Unless agreed to by the copyright holder, the poster of Breen's work is apparently violating copyright laws. This is not China.

I'm not sure who would have the copyright today. I don't believe F.C. I. Press still exists. I think it was part of First Collectors Inc, a firm Breen was involved with in the early 80's possibly late 70's. I believe Breen continued to use the First Collectors name after the breakup of the firm so FCI Press may have been Breen himself. Since Breen and his wife are both dead the copyright is probably owned now by one of their children.

I do believe this is probably a pirated copy posting

I don't see where it's free..

Well the entire book is posted online, you can see any page of it, and you can save them to your computer or print them out and you don't have to pay anyone to do so. I think that is what they mean by free.

Thanks, Conder. You're always a big help around here. (thumbs u

I guess that since I'm suffering through dial up internet service right now, I missed that. :sorry:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

FCI stood for First Coin Investors of Albertson, NY. It was a company owned by Stanley Apfelbaum and for which Breen worked in the 1970s-80s.

Registrar for the domain is offshore. It is registered in George Town, Grand Cayman Islands. Domains are registered through DomainsByProxy, a company with offshore registrar capabilities who will "own" the domain for a fee. This way, your information is not loaded into the whois database. The site is hosted through WebzPro.com, a Chicagoland service provider with the server hosting the site being located in metro Atlanta.

The server hosting the website is misconfigured and vulnerable to certain attacks. No, I did not do anything. I'm at work about would get my head handed to me if I did. Besides, my black hat hacking days are long over! ;)

If you look at the source of the page, the Author meta-tag says the pages were created by Tom Pilitowski. He's the principal of US Rare Coin Investments (usrarecoininvestments.com) out of Port Charlotte, Florida.

Anything else I will have to do from home! :cool:

Scott :hi:

It has been at least 20 years since Breen died and I would guess that the Copyright has expired on his book and his family does not have or will not spend the money to try and extend the rights of the copyright. I am happy to have a copy, having never bought one.

It has been at least 20 years since Breen died and I would guess that the Copyright has expired on his book and his family does not have or will not spend the money to try and extend the rights of the copyright. I am happy to have a copy, having never bought one.

He died in 1993.

Disappointing.

Why? I think that it is a wonderful thing. I even made it my default homepage.

Because the work is copyrighted intellectual property and owned by someone--someone told me Escala. If Escala owns the copyright, they have the right to control the distribution and earn money from that distribution. It is not up to Tom Pilitowski to distribute the work on his website without permission.

As an author (in another subject), I would be very upset if my works were distributed freely without my permission. While I am not going to get rich on my work, I want to be paid for my work. I am sure the owners of the copyright will feel the same way!

Registrar for the domain is offshore. It is registered in George Town, Grand Cayman Islands. Domains are registered through DomainsByProxy, a company with offshore registrar capabilities who will "own" the domain for a fee. This way, your information is not loaded into the whois database. The site is hosted through WebzPro.com, a Chicagoland service provider with the server hosting the site being located in metro Atlanta.

The server hosting the website is misconfigured and vulnerable to certain attacks. No, I did not do anything. I'm at work about would get my head handed to me if I did. Besides, my black hat hacking days are long over! ;)

If you look at the source of the page, the Author meta-tag says the pages were created by Tom Pilitowski. He's the principal of US Rare Coin Investments (usrarecoininvestments.com) out of Port Charlotte, Florida.

Anything else I will have to do from home! :cool:

Heck, I could have told you off-hand it was Tom's work! He mentioned it somewhere online a bunch of months ago.

Thanks for the info guys but it would be a month or so before I could look into getting a book that expesive as I just bought a near mint fully functional mid '50s AMI jukebox to put in my dinning room. :cloud9: If any of you guys know jukeboxes at all then you know that ain't cheap. lol

I personally own a copy of the encyclopedia, but I wouldn't mind an electronic copy as well. I know there's a way to rip websites... does anyone know how?

It has been at least 20 years since Breen died and I would guess that the Copyright has expired on his book

Since the work was created after Jan 1 1978 the copyright lasts for 70 years after the authors death. So the FCI Press copyright won't expire until 2063.

I use the Krause DVDs on my PC regularly, but Breen is one I'd rather have.

For what it is, $100-$150 is well worth seeing the photos and turning pages with the coin in hand.