• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To crack or not to crack!?

6 posts in this topic

I have several graded (top 3) silver dollars that i got for maybe 20% under retail which suffer from somewhat ugly toning spots and/or oxidation.

when does it make sense to actually crack open a slab to give a coin a 'quick dip'? and then what, regrade, leave as is.....

thanks for all and any knowledgeable replies.

I personally would send them to NCS then NGC buy ticking the box on the form and let them take the responsibility for the conservation 2c

I personally would send them to NCS then NGC buy ticking the box on the form and let them take the responsibility for the conservation 2c

I agree with dooly. If I'm not mistaken, this will at least let them know of the actual grade it was given by them and be guaranteed. If you crack it, there's no guarantee you'll receive the same grade.

i don't quite follow? why send the slab, say its a pcgs to ncs and then to ngc??? and ticking what box? will they charge the same as if the coin was ungraded?

Sure, for a Morgan dollar, a quick dip can do wonders but if the coins have any value then I would have NCS do it. Whatever their methods, it looks better and they neutralize the coin properly then will send it to NGC to grade. If in PCGS holders then choose the grade guarantee.

I have several graded (top 3) silver dollars that i got for maybe 20% under retail which suffer from somewhat ugly toning spots and/or oxidation.

when does it make sense to actually crack open a slab to give a coin a 'quick dip'? and then what, regrade, leave as is.....

thanks for all and any knowledgeable replies.

"20% under retail" might have been a good deal or a bad deal. Regardless, if you don't like them as is, I'd suggest selling them, rather than messing with them or paying someone else to do so. There should be plenty of others available that you like, just as they are.