• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key Coin to the Morgan Series - Your thoughts ? 1889-cc

16 posts in this topic

I am seriously looking at this coin for purchase and is one of the ONLY ones I have found that look like it has the three U"S - Untouched / Undipped / Unplayed with. The color looks right on / The wear looks nice and even with all details seemingly present / the grade look spot on also. This is the sellers picture and we are discussing terms about me seeing it in hand before deciding if I want to purchase it. Your Thoughts ??

76014.jpg.bfb55101593a51e5de4d25e098386356.jpg

Overall, it looks OK to me. However, I find the marks on Liberty's cheek and jaw and the dark/stained areas at portions of the border on each side to be distracting.

I would rather have that coloring than have it washed away-0 I am sure NCS can make it look pretty but it was not what I was looking for in this coin.

The cheek was also a point in my mind also as you cannot tell the depth of the marks hence my reasoning for seeing the coin first.

Good Points

I would rather have that coloring than have it washed away-0 I am sure NCS can make it look pretty but it was not what I was looking for in this coin.
I agree, but I'd still prefer an original looking one without the darker/stained areas. For the record, that isn't nearly as distracting to me as the flaws on the cheek and neck.

As they are the darker spots of toning don't bother me a all. I too don't care for the marks on the cheek, but this is a VF-20 after all. Some marks like this are sort of to be expected for this grade. Perhaps if you found a VF-30, it would be a bit smoother.

Having a few light marks on the cheek isn't nearly as bad as rim bumps and nicks. And you will find VF graded coins with those problems.

Having a few light marks on the cheek isn't nearly as bad as rim bumps and nicks. And you will find VF graded coins with those problems.

By the pictures this coin is clean - Another thing I was looking not to have on this coin/ I hate rim bumps :) - Might be one BELOW the date cannot tell from the picture though.

Again in hand will be the tell tale

usually these coins look like mess in holders

this one is much better than average

BUT

i would still hold out as these are always available in the marketplace and i would hold out a little while longer and wait for a better example to come around as i really do not like this one

it will be worth the wait and in this market you might get more opportunities and better pricing

I agree with the remarks, it is a VF20 coin BTW. It will have some marks. Overall the coin looks nice and original and would be nice to have.

The coin looks fine to me though I do not collect them and for a key date coin from a popular series, I suppose a price slightly over $1000 is reasonable (if that is the price).

However, this date is hardly scarce. NGC alone has a population of almost 2700 and of these (undoubtedly including duplicates), almost 300 are mint state.

The 1889-CC seems to carry many hairlined, dipped and other nastiness as you know because it is the King. As many others have noticed, it is marked, maybe dinged, but a decent VF. If I was looking at the picture to buy, I would be concerned that it will appear darker in hand; too dark. That picture appears to lighten the labels, especially the reverse one. That would ruin it for me.

I think Michael is right in terms of waiting, but I don't know how long you'll have to wait. Heritage and BM have a few of them up now. I'm looking for one myself, but haven't been able to find one that isn't hairlined. When you get this coin in hand, please take a glass to it with a tungsten light and look for hairlines. If present, return the coin without even thinking any further about it. You're collecting coins, not hairlines.