• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a cent be minted on a nickel planchet?

30 posts in this topic

My wife's uncle has a small collection of coins. He doesn't know much about coins so when we get together I'll see what he has occasionally and we'll talk coins. Anyway, he sent this email to me this evening.

Bobby, I have a penney that is larger than the others, it looks like it is doubled stamp, it is not copper, and it is not steel, it has a grove and lip all the way around, CAN YOU HELP US WITH THIS ? IT CAME FROM THE BANK TODAY.

I sent this response: Man I wish you could take a pic of it or scan it and send a pic. Does it look like it might be the size of a nickel? It could be a penny minted on a nickel planchet. Would be a cool error coin.

Could this be what it might be or a fake coin?

Can a cent be minted on a nickel planchet? NO

not unless it HAS special help from a human inside the minting facility

but for a larger nickel planchet full size not damaged to be fed into the cent press WIYTH THE LARGER PLANCHET being fed into the smaller cent coining chamber i think NOT

prove me wrong: i would love to see something like this a first for me if someone can do this for me

, it has a grove and lip all the way around,

I think this is the key point. I have seen several times in the past cents forced into a a ring of metal giving you a piece the size of a nickel or quarter and there is what appears to be a groove in the piece all the way around the circumference of the cent.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Small coins can be struck on oversize planchets, but only if the strike occurs out of collar. This is possible, because the collar is on heavy springs and may remain in the retracted position. This was a safeguard to prevent damage to the collar by mis-strikes. Of course, this all pertains to older presses that made vertical strokes. Modern coin presses strike coins horizontally, and I don't believe the collars are spring-loaded anymore.

Off planchet errors, unless struck out of collar as Dave mentions, must be on a planchet smaller than the intended planchet. This is because a larger planchet will not easily go into a smaller chamber. For example, the cent planchet could easily go into the nickel chamber, but the nickel planchet will not easily go into the cent chamber without help. Thus you will quite often see (relatively speaking, of course, these are rather scarce) a half dollar struck on a quarter or nickel planchet, but I have never heard of a quarter struck on a half dollar planchet.

I think I may get pics of this, this weekend. He called me on the ph this afternoon and I was able to get more info. First off, he was thinking double stamped because the coin was the size of a nickel. From what he's saying, it's the same thickness as a cent, it's silver colored, and diameter of a nickel. He says it has a grove all the way around it. This is what's throwing me off also. I was thinking maybe a a cent that missed it's copper plating and what he may be seeing is the zinc. Also, maybe missing the copper layer when minted may have enlarged the cent to look the size of a nickel??? Hopefully he'll get me some good pics and be able to tell more.

A broadstrike on an non-plated planchet might do it because it would have the color,the larger diameter and "groove" might be collar contact marks. (Maybe even ver slight partial collar.) But I'm still thinking it's going to be a cent in some kind of ring or bezel and probably plated.

Brokage cap? or remnants of a cent after the outer layer finally got pounded off after the planchete was stuck in the press for a while?

Nickel struck 'out of collar' allowing it to squeeze out and flatten down ?

My wife's uncle has a small collection of coins. He doesn't know much about coins so when we get together I'll see what he has occasionally and we'll talk coins. Anyway, he sent this email to me this evening.

Bobby, I have a penney that is larger than the others, it looks like it is doubled stamp, it is not copper, and it is not steel, it has a grove and lip all the way around, CAN YOU HELP US WITH THIS ? IT CAME FROM THE BANK TODAY.

I sent this response: Man I wish you could take a pic of it or scan it and send a pic. Does it look like it might be the size of a nickel? It could be a penny minted on a nickel planchet. Would be a cool error coin.

Could this be what it might be or a fake coin?

Looks about the same size as the nickel, but the design FITS the size of the planchet. If you did put a nickel planchet in the press and struck it with cent dies that would not be the case. The surfaces look like the copper plating has be chemically removed to expose the zinc core. What I think has happened is the copper has been removed and then it was pounded between a couple layers of leather. This can cause it to expand EVENLY so that the design expands with it. The slight warping of the coin would seem to confirm this. Just an altered coin.

Hey folks,

I'm Warren, I just registered on here because I ran across this thread searching about this exact subject.

I'm going to upload some pics of what I believe to be a wheat cent on a nickel planchet.

I really just want a few opinions because I'm ready to send this off with a few other errors to NGC.

Ok here's a few pics, I laid regular nickel and penny for reference.

CIMG3272.JPG

CIMG3273.JPG

Now I'm not a coin collector or numismatist AT ALL, but the notch in the edge, wouldn't that be made by the "ejector" or something like that?

CIMG3274.JPG

CIMG3275.JPG

CIMG3276.JPG

So yeah, there it is, what my boss and I think is a wheat cent struck on a nickel, what do you guys think? The other problem I'm having with this coin is it's luster, it looks polished, or something. I'd hate to waste the money on grading only to have it come back ungraded for being altered or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Normally that is impossible. Without human assistance that is. What may have happened is the nickel missed strike or a cent die was in the worng place. It does look like a cent may have been inserted into the nickel from the side view??? The color is correct for a 1c on 5c, but what does it weigh. Take it to a jeweler to get the weight of the coin. If it is a 1c on 5c I don't know if it's legal to own, but it would be worth a TON if it was, several thousand in all likelihood.

First off welcome Warren. It looks like someone made this cent into a necklace at one time. The cent also looks like it's been plated. The side view doesn't show that it's one with the coin so to speak. It looks like it's separated from the rim. I'll bet you could probably pry that ring completely from the cent.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I totally see the bezel now. I posted these at work right before I had to close up, so I couldn't really LOOK at the pics.

After looking at the pics across the faces of the coin I can see the gap between the coin and bezel. It kinda looks to me like it was plated BEFORE it was put in the bezel, but plating totally explains the weird finish.

Good idea on weighing the coin, that would've been a good next step. It's funny you said take it to a jewelry store because that's where I work :headbang:

I guess I'll have to find the new members section and post a proper intro.

Thanks a bunch for the perspective everyone, I have a feeling I'm going to be bouncing alot of thoughts off of you guys!!! (thumbs u